The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help replacong rear axle bearings.

Vince

Just another delay that is slightly annoying.
I have new Rear axle bearings and hub assembly.

Looking at the shop manual, (and other FWD cars I have done) it is a straight forward job.... Until I pull the rotor, and see there is no axle nut or washer. Just a solid unit with no visible method of being retained. Is the OEM assembly meant to be press fit?

Seems odd to me, so I hope someone will help out before I go renting pulling tools and such

Seeing that the Moog assemblies didn't come with a axle nut and washer, I hope my local parts store can get them.....

Domo Arigato (thank you)
VInce

Last edited:

thomcasey

They are press in. There is an inner and an outer. The inner bearing usually stays on the axle cup spline.

Vince

OK, Thanks... I think...

So here (see link) is the replacement
click

It has both inner and outer bearings, so if I understand correctly, a slide puller will separate the existing hub from its mounting without further disassembly on the back side of the trailing arm. Correct?

I assume that when the hub comes out, the axle shaft will remain in place so the new unit can be driven back in? Is the original axle shaft end threaded so that the new unit can have a washer and castle nut installed to secure it?

Tanks again
V

thomcasey

That looks like a FWD rear hub assembly. The AWD assembly has an axle shaft built into it that bolts on the inside of the axle cup. Also, the outer bearing normally stays on it and has to be removed, the inner bearing will need pressed in/out. Here is a pic of them and a link to a set for sale. The bearings and inner seal can be found on RockAuto.

PerformancePartout

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yes, you have FWD brearings. Looking at Tom's provided photo, you can see that you need to remove the rear axle shafts and get to the 22mm (I believe) nut to be able to tap that complete stub axle assembly out to replace the bearing.

see this thread for good instructions: How to

Vince

Awesome...
Well, kinda, cause i gotta return and reorder.

Thank you all for your advice and words of wisdom. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Vince

Vince

Sigh......
Well after that fiasco, it turns out the correct rear hub assembly is no longer available from Mitsu.....
That leaves me with just having the bearings replaced, which I cant do myself... grrrrr

Before I go to the WTB section, do any of you know of a source outside Mitsu that might still have the complete unit available, of offer rebuilt ones?

Thanks
V

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Still a little confused by your posts. Even if Mitsubishi still sold the rear hub, it would not have the bearing on it as a service part. They would have to be installed. Typically, this type of part is never offered by the aftermarket.

There are ways to change them at home in the shop, you just have to be a bit creative on removal and pressing them back on. I have done it before.

Vince

Thanks Iceman

Mitsu actually sold the whole assembly (MB569254), hub, bearings, gear, back flange and all (about $200/ea). This was my preference as I can accomplish a swap without serious effort.

Now seeing that the assembly is no longer available, I'll have to resort to replacing the bearings and seals on my existing hubs, (and hope the gear is in good condition). This isn't something I can do in my current condition.

Instead,, if no one offers a 'rebuilt', then I will hit the WTB section for a pair, buy the bearings and seals, and present them to my local shop to do. I can still drive while that is being done.

Once those are made serviceable, I can fall back once again to simply pulling and replacing the failing ones on the car.

V

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts