The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car Starts but Stalls Immediately after Built Engine Install

Chad989of2000

I love you guys. Did a boost leak test and found a massive leak...more whoosh than hiss. Used a length of silicon hose to pinpoint the location to right underneath the throttle body. System wouldn’t even hold any pressure. Pulling TB next for inspection. Thanks for everyone’s advice so far.

Chad989of2000

Took the throttle body off and really can’t see a source of the large leak. The gasket from TB to IM seemed solid and only tore a little on removal. There was some discoloration on the lower IM opening. At a loss here. I could very much feel a considerable amount of air rushing out under the TB near where it connects to the IM while boost leak testing.

Any thoughts/suggestions guys?

Eztoril

When you are ready to install the new gasket I would def make sure that both surfaces are nice, clean and flat. Looks like dirt or pitting on the IM side. Maybe one of your bolts wasnt all the way tight or something? Just guessing how you could have had such a big leak.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

On my car, I forgot to install something under the throttle body or intake manifold. I don't remember exactly, it was a few years ago.

I had the exact same problem and I found it with a boost leak test.

I'll see if I can find it and take a picture. It was easy to miss. It was hard to see too.

thomcasey

Could be a seal leak at the FIAV.

Chad989of2000

Quoting Eztoril:
When you are ready to install the new gasket I would def make sure that both surfaces are nice, clean and flat. Looks like dirt or pitting on the IM side. Maybe one of your bolts wasnt all the way tight or something? Just guessing how you could have had such a big leak.

Done and done. Sanded it all down nice and flat.

Chad989of2000

No running log simply because I’ve been unable to keep the car actually running.

Last edited:

Chad989of2000

Replaced TB to IM and TB to elbow gaskets with Mitsu OEM and boost leak is gone...that boost leak anyhow. I now have air escaping my Hallman MBC at the little hole where the vac line attaches. Is this normal?

Chad989of2000

This guy is spitting.

Not at the vac line but at the little hole in the vac line nipple.

Last edited:

Chad989of2000

Never mind...did some research and apparently that is there by design (which was what I was hoping for). Time to double check all fluids, button everything up, and attempt to fire her up.

Chad989of2000

Car cranks right up. Hangs a high idle for a moment (about 3k RPM) and then settles around about 800 RPM where it runs really rough and ultimately dies out with a whining fuel pump. Did this multiple times and the same outcome each time.

-No boost leaks
-No fluid leaks
-Everything is connected
-All fluids are topped off
-Getting fuel pressure at rail (viewable by AFPR Gauge)

Is there any way to upload vids on .ORG yet?

Chad989of2000

It appears AFR and Timing are jumping all over the place is these idle logs.

Chad989of2000

Quoting pot:
It could be the BISS screw O-ring or the Shaft Seals causing the leak as well to include the intake manifold gasket. Just something to consider........

The usual suspects for sure. I paid extra attention to these spots and there wasn't even a hiss to be heard.

Chad989of2000

Thanks for the reply. That screen grab is at idle (at least until it dies) with no throttle input. Is there a better way to post the log on here?

Chad989of2000

I'm at a loss here. I tested the resistance of the ISC again...and everything was 30 as it should be. I'm stumped.

Chad989of2000

No boost leaks...still not able to hold an idle. I'm going to test the Cam Angle Sensor next. Timing marks are all lined up. I'm really grasping at straws at this point.

-No Leaks (vac or fluids)
-Spark, air, and fuel are all getting there
-timing looks good

Going to test the Camshaft Angle Sensor.

Car starts easier than before, revs to 2.7k RPM, idles rough and then drops, and then stalls out.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts