The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

No Start Single Click

akujiki1987

Ok guys, so I finally got my timing done, got the car back, ecu has been recapped and socketed recently, and I have a parasitic battery drain. So today I decided to drive it in to work(54 mile one way) to make sure all the work was in order and what not. Had to jump it due to the drain. Got to the gas station and filled up and no start. Single Click. A buddy swung by and jumped me and it jumped no problem. So I had assumed the drive to station was not enough to charge up the battery. So I drove all the way to work(about an hour drive) and parked. Then went to try and start it. Same thing. One single click under dash and no start. I thought I had read about this symptom being an under dash relay, but my google fu is failing me today. Any tips? Thanks guys.

thomcasey

Ground issue. Being jumped take care of the ground problem to get started. You probably have original grounds, they get old and crusty.

akujiki1987

Where abouts should I be checking grounds? Starter? Battery? Alternators? etc I am HORRID with electrical crap haha. The Battery is trunk mounted though I doubt that has any effect.

thomcasey

Ground going to one of the starter mount bolts. Should go to chassis. Another goes from the transmission near the clutch line to chassis. Another goes from the Intake to the firewall.

slugsgomoo

if you had a bad drain long enough (especially if the car was sitting without a tender) it's possible the battery is also in bad shape now- if you have a multimeter you could check the voltage- My guess is that given your symptoms, the battery is probably the issue, not the ground, since it starts easily when it's being jumped.

Charge it up and take it to autozone and have them load test it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

akujiki1987

I was thinking this as well. I bought the car a few months ago and yeah it just sat while I was getting ready for the timing work. What throws me off is with after I jumped it a couple days ago when installing the reworked ecu I powered it off after about a half hour of idle, powered off then restarted and it started right up. But today after a solid hour of driving, I powered it off and tried to immediately start it and nothing but click.

slugsgomoo

Yeah, for my money, before you start doing more difficult things and adding grounds, etc just take the battery and have it load tested.

If it starts fine with a jump, it's way more likely to be power related and not ground.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts