The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Just bought a stroker and have a head question

scottinalaska

He built this a few years ago and never finished assembly. He has no paperwork on it but a few notes. The bottom end has Arias stuff all together in the block (I'll post about that later. But the head with the 3 layer metal gasket is sure pretty. Apparently, he has some nice cams and titanium stuff up top and Kigggly (?) springs.
Are these raised rings around each cylinder normal? Usually, on bottoms of heads, it is all smooth. Just curious and hoping a bit of light could be shed on this "find."

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Are there corresponding grooves in the block? Was this a start at O-ringing the head?

slugsgomoo

Head looks like it's set up to be o-ringed. I want to say that you can run most any HG with the o-rings, but I usually seem to see people running composites with them.

scottinalaska

The head has raised metal O-rings. The block, as pictured below has no corresponding grooves. There appears some faint marking like "maybe" there was some kind of grooving in the past. But it came with a Multiple layer metal gasket. It was a build from ten years ago that was NEVER run, just torqued down. The seller took the head off the block to inspect it since he bought it from an engineering student who had "too much money" and had dreams of building something amazing!
He had little info and the family was selling it since the student moved suddenly it was a "fire sale" we all wish we could walk into! More info: The head has 272 intake cam and 280 exhaust. Crank rods and pistons are Arias (sp?). Maybe the headgasket "absorbs" the head rings for a better seal. The head gasket IS missing the top metal layer right where the metal ring would sit down around each cylinder, so maybe it was designed that way. (see photos) I don't know. Any thoughts? Maybe this is how it is designed. I may just put it together with this same gasket since it wasn't heat cycled. But wanted some more experienced thoughts on it too.

Last edited:

donniekak

If you want to run those rings you need a composite gasket. If you want to run an mls you need to put copper wire in the grooves.

tektic

What he said. Sound advice.

The block looks like it was run with a composite gasket as you can see the graphite residue and even the o-ring marks. Also the deck is probably not smooth enough for a metal shim gasket. I would run a graphite gasket with rings.

Last edited:

scottinalaska

Donnie,
what do you mean put "copper wire" in the grooves if I wanted to run a metal gasket? I don't see what grooves I'd put it in, let alone copper wire.
Thanks.

diambo4life

I say, buy a new MLS and install. Worst case scenario, it leaks then install a composite and save the MLS. Have the block decked fresh so it's nicely smooth and flat.

Last edited:

tektic

The big circles around the combustion chamber are not stock. Someone cut those to use o-rings.

donniekak

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quoting scottinalaska:</font><hr />
Donnie,
what do you mean put "copper wire" in the grooves if I wanted to run a metal gasket? I don't see what grooves I'd put it in, let alone copper wire.
Thanks.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

Pull the stainless wire out of the head and install .041” copper wire for a metal gasket.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts