The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Starter Motor

mrgravel1

Hello Gentlemen.

Its been a longtime since i was on here,but J14 MRE is still in my possession and has been going through a rebuild after clutch lever problems on RALLY ISLE OF MAN 2017.

I am looking for a New starter Motor MD172860 as Mitsubishi have quoted me £793.00 ($1054.00 usd) for a new one on special order from Japan.

Anybody have one or know where i can get one ?

Many Thanks
Guy

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Are you only interested in a new one?

I don't know the quality potentially of your local rebuilders, but you could have your original rebuilt.

Otherwise, here is some possibilities. Not sure if these are all rebuilt or possibly some new.

starters- UK

fuel

Any starter from an '80s/early '90s Mitsubishi *should* work.

mrgravel1

Thank You for the information.

i went with an aftermarket starter before and it did not last that long,does anybody have a personal experience of any of the listed ones as there is a big price difference and two versions from Hella ?.

The problem was that i cracked my mounting holes on the original starter,the clutch lever arm broke and we had to start her on the key in gear,which eventually took out the starter and ring gear,so repairing the old starter is no longer an option.

mrgravel1

Thank You for your offer Transparentdsm,but its not necessary to pull the one from your car,i appreciate the offer..

I am quite happy to buy a New OEM Starter what make are you currently running in your car ?

transparentdsm

OEM Mitsubishi. Like I said I have a few OEM starters. I'd just pull the one from my car so you knew it was a fully functioning unit. Let me know I have a few OEM starters on the shelf.

misterfixit

Hi Guy,

Long time since I've been here too.

Try woodauto up north. They also sell genuine new mitsubishi electric units.

Any starter off a twincam manual will work. If it's off an auto the gear is a slightly different offset.
Uk sources
Hyundai Elantra 1.6
Hyundai Elantra 1.8
Hyundai Sonata 2.0
1990 through to about 1994 plus the usual mitsubishi suspects.

Kind regards,

Rich

Glad to hear you've still got the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mrgravel1

Hi Rich,

Pleased to hear you are still around,ill take your advice and call woodauto up north.

Yes i am pleased i kept it,couldn't bring my self to sell it in the end and parked her up for 5 years, wheeled her out and gave her a refresh last year so looking forward to using her in anger again.

Regards
Guy

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned