The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Grinding noise from under the car

Defiant

My Galant has this really loud grinding noise coming from under the car, almost sounds like a bad bearing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I recorded a video, you can defiantly hear the noise I'm referring too.
click

The driveshaft was recently rebuilt.

Last edited:

thomcasey

Is it possible that part of the exhaust is contacting the driveshaft?

Defiant

I checked that, and everything is clear.

The sound gets louder the faster I go, but doesn't change when hitting bumps or anything.

Going to check the Tcase this weekend.

thomcasey

How is your lobro joint?

Defiant

How do you tell if its bad by visual inspection?

That may be the cause of this vibrating noise while using the engine to decelerate.

thomcasey

Look at the shaft where it goes into the joint. See if there is extra movement. Also look for tears in the boot. These things dry out and it gets expensive. It is there to allow the drivetrain to move, the lobro allows the DS to have some stretch,

Defiant

Lobro doesn't have any extra movement.

Still trying to figure this out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Dan D

I had similar. Thought it was a bad wheel bearing (which was getting a little bad). When that didn't fix it, the only other rotating part I've not reworked at some point was the driver side axle jackshaft bearing - the part bolted to the back of the block. Similar grinding noise. I'd pulled it before while diagnosis the noise and it didn't feel or sound bad spinning it by hand so I left it alone but apparently it was. Made my noise go away.

It's pretty easy to replace. Could probably press it with a rental c-clamp press no problem. Hydraulic press - easy.

Last edited:

thomcasey

have you checked the half-shaft bearing for noise or play?

fuel

I have the same noise, and it's been like that for the last ~10,000kms and hasn't got worse (or better). It just seemed to start one day out of the blue. The noise on mine seems to come from more towards the rear of the car. I also get a horrible shudder when going downhill and letting off the gas in higher gears.

I've been collecting parts like wheel bearings, driveshaft carrier bearings, UJ joints etc and will start replacing items one by one and see when the noise goes away. It could also be the rear diff (or AWS pump for that matter).

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Check the angle of all the shafts in relation to one another/start/end points. With shafts being out of the acceptable range, you can end up with oscillation type vibrations which depending upon the severity, will make wonderful cabin noises for you to enjoy.

MellowVR4

I would put the car on Jack stands and go through the gears and see if you get the same result.

Well and of course see if you can find the horrible noise that way. Just be careful and make sure your on somewhat of a level floor to set all four Jack stands up.

Last edited:

Defiant

I tried that, but the car didnt make any noise while on jack stands.

I'm thinking maybe the noises are coming from the transmission. I'm currently on the hunt for a good replacement now.

MellowVR4

If it doesn't make the noise on the stands then it's only when the wheels are on the ground. Have you drained your trans fluid to check for metallics?

Dan D

Sounds really familiar. If it hasn't ever been replaced, I'd change this guy. Pretty cheap part. 1/2 hours worth of work. Like I said earlier. Didn't feel bad but it was. I also forgot to mention that all 4 in the air - I couldn't detect the noise with a stethoscope. Only did it when loaded on all fours.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
If there were any shims between the driveshaft hanger bearing and the two points it bolts to, and they are now missing, you could have changed the driveshaft angles. If the noise was only there with a new driveshaft and it only makes the noise with the car loaded on the ground and rolling, then I would rule out the possibility of driveshaft imbalance ... interesting that you think it is the transmission. The transmission when meshed and rolling will usually exhibit noises without needing to be loaded to the ground and rolling, but not always.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts