The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help with my galant

Muggus

So I have had my galant for a pretty long time and I took the motor out and put a built motor in it but this was a long time ago. So it's been sitting for years and now I am finally trying to get it going. I know I'm gonna have some questions as this goes on. For starters I got rid of the galant motor a while back without taking some of the parts off. So I was looking at the stuff that's on the motor now to see if it was right. I have had a few 90 dsm's so some of those parts are floating around. I noticed so far that the igniter is wrong. The coil seems to plug in and so does the cas. If those plug in does that mean that they will be the correct years and work or is it possible to have something that plugs in and still won't work? Also I have a 1g fmic that I'm going to try and use. I already grinded those tabs down a bit and it's still super tight. I have a 1g mishimoto radiator but if I try and mount that in the original location there so no way for those short route pipes to go by on the passenger side. If I try and slide it down so it's more centered then the power steering cooler line gets in the way. Has anyone done anything with that line to get it out of the way? I might just go with the scirocco rad to save space and make it easier. Also the turbo makes it a tight squeeze with the 1d rad. Thanks for any help.

tektic

If you have pieces that don't fit you could do one of two things Mount them somewhere they do fit, or get pieces that fit. As for the 90 DSM sensors, they are not compatible with 91+ wireing harnesses. Same thing applies here. You could get the right sensors or splice up the wire harness. Both problems have been solved both ways. Do you have the right engine brackets and mounts in place? Some are unique to the galant chassis.

Last edited:

Muggus

I'm pretty sure the mounts are correct. It was a while ago but I remember trying to put a trans on a motor a while back and the mount wasn't even close to lining up because the motor was too far back or forward. And I'm pretty sure the trans went in fine in the galant but I'll double check now that you mention it.

strokin4dr

The bracket that bolts to the front of the engine block for the front motor mount is Galant specific. The DSM part is close, but will not work correctly.

Also, get a 91+ CAS, coil pack and ignitor and save yourself some headaches. The rest should be compatible.
Good luck!

Muggus

Checked the mounts today and they were 344,195B, and 22H so they also seem to be right based off my research. I have a few more questions though. Would this radiator fit between my supports? From what I read the 1988 radiator is the figment I'm looking for. The site doesn't give the full measurments from what I saw. click

Another issue I'm having is the dirveshaft yoke sat for a while. It has some rust that I'm trying to safely remove to avoid any leaks at the t case. I tried hitting it with a soda blaster but didn't want to go to crazy with it. Then I tried some naval jelly but it still has some. Any suggestions? Im hesitant to take a strong wire brush to it but I'm assuming the casting on these are pretty strong.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I use a scotchbrite to clean off parts like that or axle shaft ends.

Muggus

Thanks ill try that. So what is the point of this piece that goes with the carrier bearings? Also it only goes with the front bearing correct?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts