The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

electric rear LSD's?

boboz

Hi Guys,

do you see these ever anymore?

I'm looking for an external selectable locking or semi-locking rear diff (not a constantly engaged LSD)

see last diff option (EMCD) on link below:
click,202249,202250/

fuel

These are for the 7th generation E74A/E84A Galant VR-4 with the 6A12 twin turbo V6. The electronic rear diff was on the 4A/T models with traction control only. I don't think it would be compatible with our 6th generation cars. It definitely wont work with the 4WS pump.

boboz

How do they work?

are they an open diff with an electric-select LSD option?

I've tried to find the relevant workshop manual but there's nothing other than the EA series out there.

fuel

Not 100% sure how they work, but it looks like they are usually open and when the ECU detects slip (it is only offered on the Auto models with traction control/trace control) it will send power (perhaps modulated) to the solenoid in the diff which locks the center together.

Being an auto, the ratio will be 3.307 and not the 3.545 or 3.909 the E39A uses.

The chances of finding one is incredibly slim - it also costs about US$3000 to buy new from Mitsubishi. Basically, forget about it.

Last edited:

boboz

yeah - i'm thinking that.

I've been looking for an externally selectable locker i.e. button press activated like an air or electric locker. doesn't have to be solid lock either and this appeared to be the only option out there as everything else is a constant LSD or torsen style locker that is constantly engaged.

fuel

What's wrong with the regular plate type LSD?

boboz

It's going in the front of a pajero io - we share the same diff centers (your rear is our front)

There are loads of cheap Detroit style lockers available but if you're driving in the rain or on ice in AWD mode the resistance of an lsd or detroit causes the steering to be quite odd and cross loads resulting in bad under-steer.

I'm looking for a center that can be externally activated from an open normal diff to a locked or semi-locked diff that I can tie into my center differential and rear differential locks for low-range heavy duty off road. there are no air-actuated or electric lockers on the market for a center so small.

fuel

I see! Had no idea that the iO used the same center as the E39A - technically the Evo1-10 (without AYC) will have the same center.

I don't think you'll have much luck finding an externally activated locker within our community I'm afraid - most of us go for the Evo plate type LSD or the viscous LSD.

What ratio is the front diff on the iO?

boboz

Hi, the front ratio is not much good for you, it's 4.875, it's in a semi-beam axle with short driveshafts out the sides, the passengers side has a driveshaft disconnect to allow the passenger CV to disconnect from the diff for 2wd opperation. 5.86 is possible with Hyundai Terecan front centers (225/75-16 tyres needs a low ratio)

So the Evo 1-10 without the active yaw control will be a plate LSD style - but no other mitsi's have that electric solenoid aside from that eterna e84a

fuel

^^ correct - only the E84A Galant VR-4/Eterna XX-4 have the electric rear locker. JDM market only, and finding used these days would be a big ask.

Nodari5553

Hi all. Please help i want this EMCD. electrical diff. If anyone sells please sell me, this is very important to me.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts