The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear Sway End Links

mitsuturbo

It's been discussed here before. I thought i'd put something up regarding this issue as well. Apparently not.

I bought DSM rear swaybar links for my car when i put the whiteline 26mm bar in. They don't fit. I had to order OEM from JNZ.

Here's a photo of the difference between "Moog 1g DSM links" and "OEM Galant VR4 links".

Who else has been nailed with this pain in the ass issue? I tried to install the Moog links, and the swaybar was hitting the trailing arm. They simply do not fit. Maybe because the car is lowered? I don't know. I just know that the parts are quite obviously not the same.

I have to wonder what the whiteline ones look like. I think i researched them and pics seemed to indicate they're tall as well.

fuel

From what I understand, the whiteline end links have the opposite issue of being too tall and therefore the sway bar can interfere with the axle cups. I think you might be able to get away with using thinner bushes (perhaps the worn OEM ones) as opposed to the thicker bushes the Whiteline links will come with. Also I've heard the newer Whiteline bars have a much more wider flat section where the links attach to, which can cause issues again.

I have yet to fit my Whiteline sway bar (the newer style) and haven't purchased end links yet as I was hoping this issue would be figured out by others as well.

transparentdsm

Quoting mitsuturbo:
It's been discussed here before. I thought i'd put something up regarding this issue as well. Apparently not.

I bought DSM rear swaybar links for my car when i put the whiteline 26mm bar in. They don't fit. I had to order OEM from JNZ.

Here's a photo of the difference between "Moog 1g DSM links" and "OEM Galant VR4 links".

Who else has been nailed with this pain in the ass issue? I tried to install the Moog links, and the swaybar was hitting the trailing arm. They simply do not fit. Maybe because the car is lowered? I don't know. I just know that the parts are quite obviously not the same.

I have to wonder what the whiteline ones look like. I think i researched them and pics seemed to indicate they're tall as well.

same exact thing happened to me when i did my 26mm sway bar.

mitsuturbo

Quoting fuel:
From what I understand, the whiteline end links have the opposite issue of being too tall and therefore the sway bar can interfere with the axle cups. I think you might be able to get away with using thinner bushes (perhaps the worn OEM ones) as opposed to the thicker bushes the Whiteline links will come with. Also I've heard the newer Whiteline bars have a much more wider flat section where the links attach to, which can cause issues again.

I have yet to fit my Whiteline sway bar (the newer style) and haven't purchased end links yet as I was hoping this issue would be figured out by others as well.

Maybe i was somehow unclear.

The lower item is Moog. It's too tall. I bought the pair for like $30, initially. They didn't fit.
The upper one is OEM, which i had to purchase for like $40 each. They fit and function fine and properly.

Aftermarket rear links are a gamble (at best, if ANY are even the right dimensions) and not worth the headache.

fuel

What about the issue of the end link through bolts not being long enough when going through the sway bar end? I don't like the lack of total threads to spin a nut on.

Gtpdz

The Mevotech MS80812 looks like it has a shorter stop nut mounted closer to the pillow ball housing, perhaps this will fit better?

Nebraska

^^^^^^installing those this weekend. Just so happens I'm putting my subframe back together, they sized up exactly to OEM besides the old rubber bushings.

mitsuturbo

Very good to know! Thanks for contributing! Now others will know what to look for that actually fits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
What did the pair of those cost? I'm guessing about $25 for the pair which is far better than $80+ for OEM.

Quoting Gtpdz:
The Mevotech MS80812 looks like it has a shorter stop nut mounted closer to the pillow ball housing, perhaps this will fit better?

turbofonz

I believe I have NIB Whiteline rears I could measure if you want

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings