The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

downshifting is smooth as silk, upshifting is notchy - normal?

scottinalaska

I have no problem engaging into any gear, but shift up anything but nice and slow, it will click in right after you feel the resistance. Downshift is so sweet you think you're downshifting a Honda. zero noise, zero resistance, no matter how fast you go.
Is this normal or a sign of something. The clutch is 1K old. Running Amsoil 75/90 GL4 as recommended.

gvr4ever

It can be a few things. Cheapest, easiest thing to check is the shifter bushings on the transmission. I've never driven a really smooth Mitsubishi transmission. Not like a BMW or Miata. I had a odd ball POS FWD Turbo Talon that had a really butter smooth transmission. Smoother then my GVR4 has ever been. Mine feels more mechanical.

turbofonz

Checking all bushings and mounts is a good place to start. When the shifter is in gear, how much slop is there?

Bleed the clutch. I swear, I just did it to my 4 cars, and every car I noticed smoother shifting after.

383mazda

I just tossed in a "new" transmission (Shep trans that had been sitting in a corner in some shop for years...) and brand new clutch - all new shifter cables with new bushings on the transmission side (only one cable is adjustable), and all new bushings in the shifter linkage and aluminum bushings for the shifter base...

First is a little hard to select, but no grinding at all, 2nd to 3rd gear is crunchy unless I A) shift slowly, or B) am WOT past 5 grand??? (guess which option I pick, lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif)

I still need to fine tune the clutch peddle, swap to Amsoil MTG and I could try bleeing clutch again.

The only other thing is maybe adjusting the shifter base? If I shift into 3rd aiming a little wide (towards the 5th gear side of the gate) rather than dead center on 3rd that seems to help. My 4-5 change feel like my miata, which is arguably the best shifting car in the world, so hopefully I don't mess that shift up when I adjust everything...

scottinalaska

I have hardly any slop at all and the bushings appear good and do not show any significant movement. I'll have to try the 5K shift method.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts