The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Gear ratio issue?

18GVR4

I finally got my GGSX running good enough to drive daily. My rpms at 55 mph is around 3k and the engine seems to be working hard. I don't know if this is normal or if different gears have been installed previously. Any ideas? Thanks

fuel

Seems normal for the AWD models to sit a bit higher in 5th gear due to the torque delivery characteristics of the DOHC engine and the fact that AWD saps a bit more power from the drivetrain. Muy JDM Galant VR-4 sits at 3200-3300rpms at 60-65mph.

Your gearbox is the W5M31 and rear end has a 2.846 ratio so it is quite unique to the G-GSX and a handful of other cars - not likely someone has swapped something to be honest given the incompatibility with other DSMs and G-VR4s.

holeshotmoe

Before I bought my GGSX, the dealer had swapped in a used rear diff with the wrong ratio. I was unaware until it had already destroyed the trans, TC and rear diff. The transmission service manual lists the ratios for the various sub-models.

18GVR4

Thanks for the info guys. Just when I thought it was good to go, I noticed a leak between the transfer case and transmission. Ugh, I should have just bought a Smart car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts