The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New clutch, flywheel, transmission R&R and car is stalling in neutral

jcrimboli

Alright so I cracked my bell housing a few months back and decided to replace some worn components during the teardown and and rebuild.

I replaced shims, seals, ect as the syncros and gear sets still seemed to be in pretty good condition. I ran into a few issues, as it was my first DSM transmission rebuild, but overall it went relatively smooth (sourcing all of the shims was most difficult). Anywho, while the transmission was out I resurfaced/stepped the flywheel, replaced the clutch assembly with a unit from South Bend, and bought an OEM slave cylinder. Once I got it all back together, bled the system, adjusted linkage, and started the car it seemed to be ok. No weird noises, smooth shifting 1-4 and reverse, however no 5th. I made sure the 2mm spacer was on the reverse switch so that wasn't the issue. I pulled the end cover and inspected. The 5th gear set wouldn't budge when I shifted the levers by hand. It was a bit tough when I had it out of the car, but it would shift from 5th to R. I took the gear set out and am currently replacing the keys as they seem to be the only parts visibly worn (any tips/tricks on the rebuild install of the 5th gear set is much appreciated).

Onto the more pressing (or maybe equally pressing) issue. When I ease off of the clutch pedal with the shifter in neutral, the car stalls, seemingly stuck in gear. I've been reading this can happen because of a broken shift fork or shift rail end. I didn't replace these components (I'm kicking myself now), but I'm wondering if there's something I'm potentially overlooking or is this going to require another teardown? Summer is coming and 1220 has been down for over a month. Any help and/or constructive criticism is much appreciated.

jcrimboli

So a little update. The input shaft was spinning constantly, as I assumed, but not due to a broken shift rod, shift fork, or shift rail end. I removed the end nut on the input shaft and found the shaft was now idle (not moving) when the shift levers were in the neutral position. When I put everything back together initially I made sure it was properly shimmed, the end nut was torqued to spec, and the input shaft moved regardless of gear selector position. Anyone had a similar problem? What did I miss?

Also, the 5th gear engagement issue turned out to be improper alignment of the hub and slider. User error. What I found is that when you torque the input shaft end nut, you have to make sure it's in 5th gear or the teeth on the gears won't align.

Again any CC is much appreciated.

Last edited:

tektic

click

In this write up it says to put the trans in reverse. I have to do this job today so any other insight would be great.

Wizardawd

5th or reverse. Either way it slides that fork outwards. Only difference is that in Reverse, another gear brought into the mix midway in the trans.

Wiz

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts