The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

While the motor is pulled...

383mazda

Car needs a new transmission and timing belt (current mileage: 115k), so I figure I'll just pull the motor and knock it all out at once. Advise I'm looking for is what other things (mods / maint) should I do while the motor is out.

Here's a quick list of stuff I'm planning, let me know what else you would do (budget of about $300 on top of what I have planned)

Pulled motor:
New timing belt
Full Gasket / Seals kit
Balance shaft delete
New rubber coolant hoses
?? Oil pump??
?? Oil filter housing / oil filter remote mount (to make room for downpipe in future)
?? New gen 3 lifters ?? (nothing ticking currently)
?? anything else

Engine Bay:
ABS delete (new prop vale and hard lines from DSM)
pressure wash and clean

Trans:
Issue is clutch engagement and 1st and 2nd gear crunching - supposedly has brand new ACT 2600, fork, pivot ball and throw out bearing - I have adjusted and replaced everything clutch related (MC / SC, welded pedal assy, shifter cables and bushings bleed, bleed and bleed some more. Even longer push rod, still had to adjust it way too far and clutch continues grabbing right off the floor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif ) New Amsoil trans fluid and still grinding gears.

Got an old 0 miles Shep trans ready to go, but clutch is still unknown... Worst case I'll need a new clutch and flywheel (will use SBC)
Best case - shim pivot ball??

SO tell me, what are some other practical and crazy things you would do while the motor is out. Future plans for the car are probably an HTA68 or FP Green and supporting mods...

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

VR6Eater

Water pump they're cheap.

idreamidrive

Rewire the engine harness as it is probably crispy.
Motor mounts.
Subframe bushings.
Clean the dirt off.
Mount high flow fuel filter at stock fuel filter location.

383mazda

Yes, forgot to add the water pump.

Good ideas on the mounts, bushings and harness - hopefully it just needs a re-loom...

I might as well order new motor mounts and let the window weld start curing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts