The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Vibration I can't seem to diagnose

turboneon

newbie thread

Hello everyoneveryone! Fist off I've been living my gvr4 but I have put a new aluminum drive shaft, front axles and changed out my front motor mount and can not get this vibration I have gone. It only does it under mild acceleration and seems to be not near as bad at wide open throttle. I have attached the link to my thread in the newbie section but I can not seem to figure this out and I'd like to fix it myself rather than pay who knows what at a shop. If anyone has any input I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks !

Jake

marvinmadman

If the clutch is really slipping, I'd yank that thing out and install a good flywheel/clutch setup to rule that out and fix an existing issue at least.

turboneon

I think the main reason the clutch was slipping bad at first was because the car had been sitting for years without being ran. If I pull the Trans I'll probably rebuild it too because the synchros are bad. I guess my main scare is doing all that work and it still vibrates lol

marvinmadman

I've gotten bad front axles before from a parts store. My damn DD b16 ef sedan would shake between 30-45 no matter what. After 3 axles I got a good pair.

strokin4dr

Quoting turboneon:
I think the main reason the clutch was slipping bad at first was because the car had been sitting for years without being ran. If I pull the Trans I'll probably rebuild it too because the synchros are bad. I guess my main scare is doing all that work and it still vibrates lol

I don't see the problem with fixing known issues (slipping clutch and bad synchros) with the possibility of it still vibrating. Those things still need to be addressed anyway, so it would be the right path to getting the car back to where it should be anyway. Hopefully those fixes would help though. Good luck!

thomcasey

What king of mount/gromets are you using for the driveshaft/carrier bearings? Are they solid or stock?

marvinmadman

Also, did the shop balance the whole driveshaft and correctly install the u joint snap shims?

gtluke

I had an axle that would sometimes shift or something and have a bad vibration.
Make sure the jack shaft is bolted in properly with the correct spacers or AC bracket
Recently my front trans bolt worked it's way out and caused a strange vibration at highway speed.

turboneon

The ac bracket is still in tack. I'm assuming the jack shaft is the Trans to driver side front axle extension? Do you have any info on this because I was at a loss as to how to check anything on it.

marvinmadman

I'm interested in these spacers too. I don't have any and I don't remember what they look like. Last time I removed a half/jack/intermediate shaft was like 10 years ago. My memory isn't all that great with this piece /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

marvinmadman

Nevermind. I found the info. 1 spacer is only needed if you don't have the AC bracket installed. The bracket acts as a spacer.

turboneon

Anyone know if the intermediate shaft goes bad? Also can I get a new one? I'm so at a loss on this I'm ready to buy cheaper parts to try to get somewhere with this vibration

marvinmadman

Never seen one go bad. There's a bearing inside it though. Definitely can go bad and would cause a vibration.

MegaSuiter

I have used a microphone system before to locate different noises around the car. the one I used had six microphones you can place wherever you want. If you can get your hands on one, try using it to maybe isolate the vibration. Maybe it'll make enough noise to pick it up on a mic?

turboneon

I have thought about that but most mechanics here just give up easy when there's a problem like this. I definitely don't want to invest in one but I will see if I can find someone who had one! Anyone know the intermediate shaft part number? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Also, what is the brand of aluminum driveshaft ? DSS ?

Was it balanced/checked for balance as mentioned before?

It was bolted in but that means nothing, IF, it is still not balanced.

Do you have the original driveshaft setup?

Pop it in, and compare.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts