The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Relay running hot after rewiring fuel pump

MX4

Hi all,
After running a direct feed from the battery to the fuel pump, via a relay, I am getting the relay running extremely hot after the car has been running. Has anyone come across this before? The relay is getting so hot it would be too hot to hold in your hand. All wiring joints are soldered. I plan to recheck all the soldered joints, but is there anything else I could check?

Cheers

turbofonz

My power wire would get warm and I added a larger ground and it fixed it.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Heat is from high current. Check all the wiring to the pump itself to make sure it is all good.

swe_gvr4_1991

I suggest running the pump directly off the battery for testing. Ofcourse with the relay in place. This way you can eliminate alot of other potential issues.
If the heat issue remains then some part of your wiring is to weak/small.

Then revert back to the rewire mod and replace the culprit wire.

Last edited:

MX4

Quoting iceman69510:
Heat is from high current. Check all the wiring to the pump itself to make sure it is all good.

Quoting swe_gvr4_1991:
I suggest running the pump directly off the battery for testing. Ofcourse with the relay in place. This way you can eliminate alot of other potential issues.
If the heat issue remains then some part of your wiring is to weak/small.

Then revert back to the rewire mod and replace the culprit wire.

Thanks for these replies. Will do this on the upcoming weekend.

MX4

Quoting SleepinGVR4:
Is your battery relocated to the truck?

I had to run a huge ground to keep my relay from getting hot.

Yes battery is in the boot. And the ground wire is still the factory wire. So I will run a bigger gauge wire direct from the battery to the pump to see if that helps. Cheers for your help!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts