The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

So...........my new FP turbo has a stripped waste gate bolt hole.

dougmacho

Decided to keep the car, so many frustrations.

Did full bolt ons by two different shops. At first I had thought the when the bolt holding the wastegate to turbo wasn't torqued properly........ Only to have it back out a second time. Used the bolt from the stock wastegate, as the shop probably used the same bolt the first time.

It's a pretty short bolt, I am wondering if I can use a longer bolt? It's a go 68hta, is the hole deeper so I can get the bolt in there further to grab more thread?

If it backs out again and strips the entire thread, I'm guessing I can send it back to do FP for their "warranty" service?

Barely had 2 days where the car was perfect, otherwise have not been driving the car during the last year. Just don't want to give up on the car, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

EfiniX

I can only offer solace... I spent an entire day with EHMotorsports (Evan) working on stripped-out exhaust manifold stud holes. We had to literally drill and shatter the turbo bolts to get them off. What should have taken a few hours took maybe 10. In fact, it took a bit longer than it should have in part because once the manifold was off, we pulled the studs, drilled out all of the stud holes, helicoiled them, then put in fancy copper BMW exhaust studs. The logic was that we were NOT EVER going to pull that manifold off again.

Of course, we had to when it cracked, but a quick call to Forced Performance and they sold me an open-box mock up manifold for less than half-price.

In my experience, there are two takeaways for you:

First, fix the exhaust studs while you're in there if they aren't aftermarket already. It's a ticking pain-in-the-ass time-bomb.

Second, FP is great to work with. Just call them up, explain the issue, and they will tell you your options.

And regarding your problem, you want all of those threads in there. striping out the some of the threads, then counting on the remaining threads to hold it all together is a bit of a hack. Might work, might not. Whether you chance it or not is up to you. Any competent mechanic can drill out the hole and put in a helicoil in an afternoon. Might be a bit easier and faster than sending it in to FP. But hey, why not start with a call to them and see where it gets you.

dougmacho

Gonna call FP tomorrow. The housing looks pretty cheap, no stamp even. Also BOTH bolts holding the waste gate backed out! I had a shop order and install, but doesnt the waste gate come installed and bolted?

EfiniX

Quoting tektic:
Drill and tap?

If you're going to go through that trouble, you might as well drop a helicoil in the hole as well. It will provide a much stronger thread for the both to grab. Or, if you can drill a hole straight through, you could get a bolt with a shank and put a nut on it.

dougmacho

Helicoil seems like the best thing to do, thankfully a DSM friend is gonna hep me out with that.

Thanks for the solace EfiniX, much appreciated!

CutlassJim

This thread is hard to read and confusing. I'm almost positive that the issue is the two boss' in the compressor housing that hold the wastegate. Why all the talk of exhaust manifold studs in the head?

If they are actually stripped then heli coil is your only option.

Good luck.

donniekak

A small boss in an aluminum compressor housing has to be one of the easiest things in the world to helicoil.

dougmacho

Horrible bosses, 1+2! Har har.

I actually just found longer bolts and used loctite red. Drove all day yesterday and now it seems fine. Time to figure where the oil leaks are coming from!

tektic

Quoting CutlassJim:

If they are actually stripped then heli coil is your only option.

I used something like this when my hed stud was stripped.
22142216_dag_675571_pri_larg.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts