The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Technical post

curtis

Ok got a PM from a wicked smart friend other day showing a video of a shop tour of Berkley labs machine shop. Go look that up later. If I pull it up I'll watch it 3 more times tonight like I did other day Awe inspiring, humbling but has made me start thinking ......When people run through life never doing anything but the daily grind....make people happy, build sh*t, get paid etc etc Our brains go to mush.

So earlier was boiling the little click tab heating pads.....sodium acetate. clicking the tab starts a chain reaction turns liquid to solid at 130 degrees lasts about an hour or so good for bad backs. Boil bag in water goes back to liquid and is ready after it cools to start all over again.

Now they have the same thing but that go cold. Aka cold pack. Its made up of ammonium nitrate mixed with water, Heat up dry out and goes back to liquid add water bam freezing.

So works good to chill beer but here's the thought that I just had doesn't involve beer but cars. Well drinking beer now so kind of does.... anyway . So I went looking on you tube and found a video click me after that it has videos from where to get it. I grew up in the country I know where to get it also know what and how to make the sh*t blow up learned that as a kid as well. Any who lets say we don't wear sunglasses and a hoddie when we go to the farm supply to get 50 lbs bags of it and we just get one bag and some grass seed .....most farm supply want let people off the street buy this stuff if you don't know why look it up. Stop don't do that the government will be watching it and a few more things took down a building in OKC.

So go get a bag and go up to car and start thinking. My thought is build badass air to water IC, exterior of IC is inside a stainless tube welded through another box made of stainless filled with Ammonium nitrate. Add some of that paste from heat sinks to keep the electrons flowing between the two. Top has a lid with vent. Get to drag strip add water Bam solid core of ice and IC is sitting at 0. Make passes as IC warms it releases the water to vent dries out goes to ambient temp, add water repeat. If it was aluminum I'm sure the ammonium nitrate would eat it but stainless with a stainless lid shouldn't be a problem. Amounts would have to be figured out etc but damn it I don't see why it wouldn't work.

OK my thought for the week. Reply's dumb looks etc are welcome
Toybreaker fire away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

curtis

Also I know turning the exterior stainless box into a dry ice holding area would be easier but more expensive. Going to the track with 3 big cylinders of co2 would get expensive fast so lets not get side tracked.

manikbastrd

Why not just use a chiller box with Ice water? Lots of people go to the strip with Ice water for their air to water ICs.

curtis

To be different. I actually saw some guys over a decade ago that had quick disconnect aircraft style fittings on the bottom of there mustang and a drain. They would make a 7 second pass come back drain the whole system including tank in trunk. Pump it full of ice water they had in a fricking huge truck tool box on the front of there trailer mounted up high. After pumping it until they pulled out alll the heat. They topped off the system and fill the tank with fresh ice. Ever pass they were at the same exact temp. But 100 bags of ice gets expensive.

manikbastrd

Hmm. That's fair. I don't know the science behind your idea, but it seems pretty neat.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts