The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tight Turbine

MellowVR4

What going on everybody,

Took my turbo off the other day to change some gaskets. Spun the turbine and it was pretty tight!! I don't think this is normal... I am going to buy a rebuild kit and see if I can rebuild this thing... The turbo is a 60-1 TRIM, is this the correct rebuild kit for this turbo? click Also Would it be worth putting a billet compressor wheel on this turbo? Or should I not waste my time?

Thanks in advance!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

GEDengineering

Mellow,

Turbine to housing clearance is designed to be very tight, a large clearance will lead to a horrible efficiency. I would recommend that if you do go with a billet/mfs wheel that you take the completed assemble turbine shaft with mounted wheel to be dynamically balanced due the weight difference in wheels. If you are interested in a little more detail of radial turbocharger operation this is a very good paper I have used for design Radial Turbomachinery ,once you clean the turbine housing you should check the clearance and speak to garrret in regrades to the acceptable values. If you have question feel free to let me know, I will help in any way I can.

Glenn

MellowVR4

I didn't mean tight like that, I meant when you spin it. If I understand this correctly a journal bearing turbo should spin freely for at least a full 2 spins before it stops when and a ball bearing turbo spins a bunch of times before it stops... Mine doesn't even make a complete cycle before it stops!!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned