The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help! "No response received" w/ECMlink

car_guy

So first off all I've had the car for a few months now, switched injectors and turbo among other things and never had a problem connecting for tuning or logging. After my new clutch break-in a few weeks ago I turned the boost up and when I went to hook up link I get "No response received".
Here's the series of events:
Cable is a couple months old. I put a new clutch in 4 weeks ago. After the clutch reinstall I got a 4WS light. This was less than 3 weeks ago. Realized my fluid was low and filled it. Got into link to reset the code and it hooked up just fine. That was a little over 2 weeks ago. The only thing I've done since then is install the trunk wiring harness because I got a ticket for not having license plate lights. Get in to log for higher boost and no response.

Here's what I found out so far. I have confirmed that I have continuity from pins 1 & 2 on the ECU to pins 1 & 10 respectively on the OBD port. I have also confirmed that I am seeing ~4.35 volts out of pin 2 on the ECU and it is making it to pin 10 on the port. I am also getting 12 volts at pin 4 at the OBD port and one pin has continuity to ground (12?) I forgot which one. Tell me if I'm wrong here but I believe this confirms that comms from my ECU are all working properly.
I borrowed another computer last night. An older laptop. Installed everything, the update and latest drivers and still no response received.
Can someone please put a multimeter on their OBD port to confirm if I'm getting the proper voltages to the proper pins? I read a thread that pin 1 should be getting voltage, but it's not. Can someone confirm this?

transparentdsm

im having the same issue over here. i had my car apart for the last 3 months and yesterday i start it up and go to connect and nothing. 3 months ago before i tore the car down i was using the cable on a log because my alternator was dying.

im having my buddy come over today with his cable and his laptop and im going to see if its something on my end like my computer being stupid.

Last edited:

EMX5636

When you get this issue, always go online with the laptop and search for any DSMLink updates. It almost always fixes it. If not, you might need to update the firmware in the ECU. There is a Wiki on the DSMLink page on how to do it. If neither of those things fix it, probably a bad cable. I've seen a few stop talking.

thomcasey

Check the version of link that you are connecting with. V3 will default to the V3 chip, but if you have V2 chip installed in the ECU, it will not connect.

Mn92gvr4

Ever try swapping in a different battery? I had a similar issue when i got 936 going. Tryed everything else first but for some reason link just didnt like my battery

car_guy

I would love to get that driver file transparentdsm to give it a try. I found a guy with a Snap On scanner. Couldn't get a response from the ecm with that either so I think I found my problem. I'll pull it this weekend and give it the once over, but sounds like I will be shipping my ecm off.

matt92vr4

I just had a connection error that took me a couple weeks of leisure time to fix. It turned out to be the driver install. I had wiped my computer clean over Christmas and reinstalled the software and drivers. Computer said the drivers installed properly but the ECM would not connect. It saw it as "other device" instead of a USB COM port. I finally monkeyed around with it yesterday enough to get it to connect. I somehow manually created a COM3 and assigned the ECMlink driver to it. Tried to connect but would not. Then windows automatically updated the driver and it started working. Honestly I have no idea what I did exactly. It is interesting that a few of us have had connection issues lately. Mine connected again this morning on the way to work with no problems.

Breakerrr

I had the same problem. Apparently I shut the driver side door damaging the small, in-line, rectangular, rubber covered pcb which has the green led recessed into it. A new usb data logging cable fixed the issue.

marvinmadman

Having this issue now. Found an updated driver on ECM website and still have no connection. Car was parked for a few months. What the hell?

car_guy

I still haven't done anything with mine. Going to take one more look at the ecu before I send it off to Link to have it looked at.

marvinmadman

Mine has been rebuilt already. I also have a fresh ISC that isn't bad. Car literally just sits so it shouldn't be the cable. I'm gonna look at the Diagnostic port and go from there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts