The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

trans work necessary for 450hp

tektic

So I have a 93 awd dsm trans and was thinking about the evo 3 gear set. Would that be enough to handle 450 with my current soutbend clutch. Might need the spider gear upgrade too right?

donniekak

With a 93 any of the small 3-4 hub/slider gears will be an upgrade. You should already have a double synchro second. A 4-spider with an aftermarket cross shaft, or welded diff would be a good idea if you launch the car.

89Patches

If you do a refresh Bearings/synchros and shim it tighter and upgrade the center diff I see no problem holding 450whp. Although that's assuming the gear set you have is in good shape.

pot

Staff member
I'd like to add if your considering upgrading to any of the Evo III gears start your shopping now. They are getting really hard to find. I spoke to Josh at JNZ and they are NLA.

turbofonz

Driving style, clutch setup and fluid are also very important for power handling.

EMX5636

In my opinion, Evo 3 gears aren't really any stronger in real life. Donnie has it right though, late 92-up second gear, 91-early 92 3/4 setup, fresh bearings and a good shim job will hold you over. 4-spider or Welded definitely if you will be launching/rowing through gears.

car_guy

How many people on here have done the rebuild themselves, and how difficult would you say it is? I read the Vfaq and it doesn't seem that hard. Don't really need any special tools, just a press. Also, where is the best place to get all the upgraded parts you guys are talking about, double synchro 2nd, 4 spider gear upgrade, evo 3 gear set (or at least 5th)?

prove_it

Good question now in days.

As for a good trans that will hold power, don't forget how critical the clutch is for keeping a trans in one piece. A bad or poorly operating clutch will kill syncros and gears.

EMX5636

Quoting car_guy:
How many people on here have done the rebuild themselves, and how difficult would you say it is? I read the Vfaq and it doesn't seem that hard. Don't really need any special tools, just a press. Also, where is the best place to get all the upgraded parts you guys are talking about, double synchro 2nd, 4 spider gear upgrade, evo 3 gear set (or at least 5th)?

You also need to shim the gear stacks, using feeler gauges, solder method, etc. As far as gears and such, JNZ Tuning has everything you need except for the Evo3 stuff. It's all been discontinued, and you will definitely have to do some digging for used stuff, or absolute trenching for NOS (new original stock) last I checked.

Also, Prove_it also hit a nail on the head. You will wear out synchros if the clutch isn't disengaging properly. And torque rating will come into play as well. I love my twin, but it's not for everyone. I know a lot of guy that still get by with a street or 6-puck disk, and a heavy single plate up to 550-600whp. Just need to properly set it up. Also as a side note, I recommend against a sprung hub, when using a puck style clutch. The aggressive engagement tends to wear the springs and the center hub out fairly quickly.

Last edited:

diambo4life

Quoting turbofonz:
Driving style, clutch setup and fluid are also very important for power handling.

This. I would have to say in my years of dsm driving, I have only broken one shift fork, never broken a hub and slider, broken several center diffs and what I mostly do is pull the gears off of third. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I also normally run stock trannies. I use Lucas in the GVR4, my old Talon used mostly Valvoline.

tektic

I have my rebuilt trans and have a 4 spider diff on the way. I'm going to need to shim everything.

When checking the shaft and center diff pre-load the races should pop right out of the flat center case piece? I didn't try to get them out yet. The solder goes between that case and the race right? Where do the shims go?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yes that is where you put the solder, and the shims go in the same location.

slugsgomoo

Quoting diambo4life:
They all break....lol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

The only solution is the most difficult... drivermod.

I've got my stock gearbox (worn syncros, gvr4 first gear) and I'm making... I'd say more than 450... It hasn't died yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsdunno.gif I don't launch the car in first, but otherwise I'm not terribly kind to it.

tektic

I definitely loosened up my last trans downshifting to 4th at around 75 and adding 25# of boost.

slugsgomoo

Quoting donniekak:
It's highway pulls that end up killing them.

well 4th gear is weak, and without a trans cooler, I would definitely forecast bad things there. The truth is, 1st gear, center diff, and 4th are probably the three worst things in the stock gearbox... avoid them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts