The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need opinion on a tune

vr4hotness

Need your opinion plz

Tuner said it was crappy 91 octane gas

I was getting really bad knock at 4k and above,
Look at the graph

Mods
E3turbo
880cc
Full bolt ons
272/272
3g lifters
Multi layer head gasket
Aem tru boost
Ecmlink v3
Ets fmic

Car was running great with no issues minus that

GSTwithPSI

Output looks low for the boost level.

I need a log...Preferably one from the dyno pull. Any 3rd gear pull from ~3k to redline will work, though.

CutlassJim

And not hitting 18lbs until 4000 rpm? Either you have some mechanical issues or that's a poopy tune. I find it suspect too that the A/F ratio isn't also on the graph with the boost. Post a log please.

OldHairyBastard

Jim's right about the air fuel mixture. Without being able to see where your air fuel is in the RPM it will be hard to give good advice an the tune you have. I do find it a bit strange that your torque is that much higher than your HP. It would be nice to see where your timing is set to across the RPM range. What type of waste gate and exhaust do you have?

vr4hotness

I will try and get a log set up today, I've never done one on ecmlink before.

2.5inch exhaust and a evo3 wastegate

toybreaker

iconoclast
102 degrees Fahrenheit ambient air temperature is not optimal conditions to try and set up / optimize a tune.

... with no changes other than a drop in ambient temperature, I bet you find some missing ponies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

vr4hotness

Ya was super hot, but that a big loss in power across the band.

What values should I capture in the log ?

OldHairyBastard

With or without a CAT? Also what MASS/MAF are you using if any?

Quoting vr4hotness:
I will try and get a log set up today, I've never done one on ecmlink before.

2.5inch exhaust and a evo3 wastegate

Last edited:

r4pt0x

I have overpressure from ~1800rpm and easily >1bar at 3000rpm with an evo3 16g, stock Galant RS cams ('92 model) and a little over 9:1 CR (1.8l head). peak+hold boost is ~1.5-1.6 bar (~24psi). Only knock events are at ~2800-3000rpm which are mostly only harmonics from the engine missing its balance shafts.

Are you using any boost control or driving direct wastegate-pressure? Latter one could fit your very slow boost builtup.

Your torque is accordingly quite low, especially considering the cams which should get much more air into the cylinders (if timing is set up properly...).

What are the 880cc injectors for? You're planning on using E85? I was running on stock evo9 injectors (560cc) and they weren't even close to be maxed out... I only switched to 1000cc PTEs for E85 and later engine&turbo upgrades.

The logs should include: rpm, TPS, load, ignition, AFR map and WB02 and eventually boost, which is/should be (in kPa) roughly identical to the load value anyways and hence isn't terribly important unless your MAF scalings are way off...
If you use ECU-based boost control, wastegate-duty might also be interesting to clarify the slow boost built-up.

EfiniX

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Output looks low for the boost level.

I need a log...Preferably one from the dyno pull. Any 3rd gear pull from ~3k to redline will work, though.

THIS

I would expect you closer to 280hp at that boost level. You must be running fairly low timing or something else is wonky...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned