The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Those with link: where's your knock sensor threshold set?

EfiniX

I'm at 3750rpm's / 45% throttle. I'm going to start playing with some of my pre-spool timing and I found myself curious about where others have theirs set.

For my part, I'm going to go down to 3000rpm's/40% TP and drive around a bit to see if I get any phantom knock. Once I'm settled on that, I'll start tweaking the timing a bit. With the T3/T4 setup I have, I'm building boost at 3500+, and hit the threshold around 4200. Comparing my timing map to a n/a timing map, everything matches up to around 3000 RPM's, where the timing starts to tick off a bit. Makes sense for a stock turbo that spools up sooner, but I'm not drinking from the firehose for another 1200 RPM's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tektic

My code is set where Kyle t had it originally. It is not enough my car is loud.

EfiniX

uh, what?

tektic

Not using link, sorry. My PK is based on airflow not tps. While airflow is under atmosphereic pressure.

EfiniX

Ahhhh.

tektic

I'm in the same situation though. I need to make the knock go away. Have you tried retorquing your knock sensor? I hear some have had luck doing that.

G

Staff member
Re-torquing? I don't think it's supposed to be tightened down all the way?

EfiniX

Quoting tektic:
I'm in the same situation though. I need to make the knock go away. Have you tried re-torquing your knock sensor? I hear some have had luck doing that.

Oh, I'm not seeing any knock at all right now. That being said, as I tune for more low-end (pre-boost) power, I know I want my knock sensor actually "listening". I remember when I first got the car back from an English Racing tune and the sensor control was something like 4000 RPM's at 70% TP. That seemed high, so I dropped it down to 4000/40%. That's been good. Recent tuning around my boost threshold got me to lower it to 3750/35%.

Now I'm logging and tuning for mid-throttle acceleration from 3250-4000. I set my knock control to 3250/30% this morning before logging and saw no knock, so I'm now feeling better about playing a bit with the timing. My logic is that I should not be messing with timing at an RPM or load-factor below what the knock sensor is configured to monitor.

Seems safe that way.

In any case, it just got me thinking about where owners with link have their knock control set and why. Purely an academic question.

Last edited:

prove_it

I usually set it to 4k and around 30%-50% throttle. It depends on what fuel is being used. If it's race fuel or E85 I might bump the numbers up, just because the likely hood of knock is so slim that it almost has to be phantom knock. If it's pump gas I'm more careful about the threshold, maybe around 3k at 25% throttle.

EfiniX

Well as you saw in my other thread, I potentially have some PK at lower knock control settings. No matter the run, the knock profile looks about the same, which is what is leading me to believe I've got a harmonic vibration blowing up my spot. I may play with the timing a bit in that range to see if there is a change in behavior. If not, I think I've got my answer.

thanks again

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts