The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help with meth/water injection

vr4hotness

Well I'm finally getting ready for my tune
150k stock original motor
272/272 delta regrind cams
Ets fmic
880 pe injector
Walbro 255 rewire
Evo8 maf
Evo3 turbo
Downpipe catless
3glifters
Catback exhaust
Original head gasket I think??
Aem tru boost

I have dsmlink and about to get my tune and I got stopped cause I got a ton of interest in methanol injection

This is the kit I was looking at click

Do you guys think it is worth the extra money and power to go meth on this car since we have piss gas 91 in California

This car is not a daily driver and will only see about 3-5 track/autox a year

Not even sure what psi to run and what power I will make

prove_it

The REAL Evo 3 16g will net you a MAX of around 380whp. You will need meth to achieve this with 91 octane pump gas. Without meth you'll probably end up in the 300-330whp range. This is only when running 22psi+. With 150k on the engine though, you'll be fighting worn rings and pistons(not to mention carbon buildup).

If I were you, I'd focus less on maxing out that turbo, and spend money on the engine. At least replace the head gasket and use ARP's and clean up any carbon on the piston surfaces. (carbon will cause knock if there is enough)

Also, is E85 an option? In my opinion alcohol is a better way to go than METH. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Have you at least done a compression test to determine if your engine is ready for this? 150k is a lot of miles for a bone stock turbo engine.

vr4hotness

Ya compression was 154 across all 4

Not a big fan of e85.

That's why I was think just get a tune and call it a day with the current mods

No way in telling if my head gasket has been changed without taking the head off either correct

Coltsfan

I run the CMGS progressive gauge/controller with an EIII16g turbo on FIC650s and an extra 10psi of fuel pressure on 93 pump gas and 25psi of boost. It pulls like a wild banshee, and when I run race gas I screw the boost controller down until it bottoms out.

I can't say anything bad about water/meth, as long as you keep the tank full, and power it off during boost leak tests.

prove_it

How can you NOT be fan of E85? Cheap race gas from the pump. I mean come on. No meth tank to fill, helps american farmers, promotes better emissions, I mean come on.

Coltsfan

I'm not a fan either. Sure it has it's good point, (cheap race fuel) but I'm not buying into all the other "benefits". I refuse to drink the cool aid.

Last edited:

prove_it

There is 15yrs of research, not to mention my own huge array of personal experience. 5yrs with my stock fuel lines and have yet to "eat" them up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Remember all the anti-ethanol theories and propaganda come out of the mouths of big oil. Obviously they don't want to lose some of their market. A bit bias if you ask me.

It's much easier to work with than meth.......

MellowVR4

I've got meth on mine, Im liking it so far. I've up the boost without being tuned with the meth and no knock! running 22psi on a 60 trim.

vr4hotness

It's looking like meth would be a waste with a little evo3 turbo, I just want reliable power. And with 150k now I'm getting worried lol

MellowVR4

When I was just running 93 with my big 16g with 750cc, I made 305whp with 17psi, wish I could've gotten more but the wastegate wasn't keeping up.

EMX5636

Don't be worried about 150k. I ran 30-31psi through my Eclipse for a few years with a T3/TO4e back in the day with water/alky injection at 147k miles. I love water/meth or alky, even with a smaller turbo like that it will help. Esp being able to add a bit of timing and cool off the air the little hairdryer is pushing. I have mine setup to turn on via DSMLink and AUXmaps. Then I can turn it on and off and adjust my boost accordingly to run straight pump gas 90% of the time just driving around.

You can buy a complete kit, but I am usually not a fan of progressive style controllers. I always pieced together a kit, and used a simple Hobbs switch to activate it in the past. Now with DSMlink, you can have it turn on at specific load points (more accurate but still correlates to boost), but off between NLTS, under a certain speed (like while spinning when launching), etc. It's great.

MellowVR4

Yeah I have the devils own kit with the controller, works great!

vr4hotness

No way in telling if my head gasket was ever changed huh??

I can tell I've had cams before and they did upgrade my lifters but not sure on the head gasket

EMX5636

You probably can't tell if it was changed with an OEM composite. But if it's an MLS (multi-layer steel) gasket, you can see it where it sticks out of the side a bit near the #4 exhaust runner. Should be a little tab sticking out. Sorry I don't have any pics available right now, but if you Google MLS and Composite head gasket, you will see the difference. If it's an MLS already, you're fine with running some high boost. Composite can take it as well, but a little less forgiving to detonation and lifting of the head.

EMX5636

Good news for you. With 155 compression, a MLS and a good tune, you shouldn't have any problems pushing that 16G.

vr4hotness

Lol

So does that mean mybhead gasket has been changed?

It 3 layers and looks to be metal

Last edited:

turbowop

Quoting vr4hotness:
It's looking like meth would be a waste with a little evo3 turbo, I just want reliable power. And with 150k now I'm getting worried lol

It won't be a waste. You can turn up boost or timing to make more power.

I've been running methanol on my car since '06. With a stock shortblock that has 140k miles on it. Just the headgasket and studs have been changed and that was only because I burned a valve in '03 running too lean on racegas.

E85 is great stuff. But the nearest and ONLY station nearby to me is 35 miles away. Eff that.

EMX5636

Quoting vr4hotness:
Lol

So does that mean mybhead gasket has been changed?

It 3 layers and looks to be metal

Yes, they didn't come factory with them in any USDM 4G63 application before the Evo.

And I agree with Mark. I've been running a water/meth or alcohol systems since like 04-05. Works great in almost any application. E85 is the new bandwagon, but there aren't any stations near me with it, and I'm not filling 55gal drums for a daily street car. No way, no how.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts