The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

RaceFab Galant VR-4 Specific REAR Brembo Bracket With Parking Brake Option!

KiNgMaRtY

Many of us have been wanting a solution kit that will allow us to bolt up the rear Brembos and still allow us to retain some use of a parking brake. I would though like some more info on what all is involved to to install the evo parking brake. Will we need a a need lead to activate or will our OEM wire bolt up to kit. I assume we will need the Evo rear parking brake guts.
I posted a questions and they will be posting a how to soon.

From their Facebook post:
vr4 rear evo 5-9 brembo caliper conversion kit $350nz

we have design a weld on brake bracket kit to fit evo 5-9 rear brembo calipers and rotors onto the 89 shape vr4. these are also made to fit the evo 4-9 internal handbrake assembly if required at the same time

the kit includes:
2x weld on brake mounts
1x template for hole locations and holds brackets in position for welding
4x cv spacers to move hub flange out 6mm for stud to handbrake shoe clearance
all bolts needed

we will also be putting a step by step photo guide on this racefab facebook page

11140395_10153406692144414_8142421627934959571_n.jpg

1505308_10153406692484414_1361520732538567310_n.jpg

Last edited:

jeverts

Finally, You beat me too it. This was going to be my next project. Looks like a nice setup. Will there be a stainless option Possibly?

KiNgMaRtY

^^ Are you going to making something similar to this? If so, I may just hold off till you make yours.

jeverts

No, this is something that wouldn't happen for a while, trying to clean off my plate before I do anything else. Go for it. If there is a stainless option I would be more op to buy that, just for how grody the rear can get. Besides for the price point on the steel ones I would just buy from you instead of making something. I don't mind supporting others when they come up with things like this.

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

I am not making these, it is a shop in New Zealand called Racefab /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

89Patches

I see no point to this. If you wanted brembo's on the rear just use 3kgt trailing arms. It's a factory part and doesn't require brackets/spacers.

KiNgMaRtY

From reading other thresds, installing the 3k GT arms are not a simple bolt on affair and it affects the track significantly. It also appears the 4ws steering rack joint points are slightly different than those of the GVR4. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Lancer99

So with these we have to weld it up, the're not bolt on right?

citymunky

Quoting KiNgMaRtY:
From reading other thresds, installing the 3k GT arms are not a simple bolt on affair and it affects the track significantly. It also appears the 4ws steering rack joint points are slightly different than those of the GVR4. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have 3000GT trailing arms waiting to be installed and they look very similar to our trailing arms.

Also I wouldn't say they affect the track significantly, they add from what I read about 3mm.

They is a 4WS point in the same general area as a GVR4, but I'm not going to confirm they are will work are not.

The only major difference I noticed was the axle cups. 3KGT are a 4 bolt axle also, however the bolt pattern is not the same as a 4 bolt DSM rear axle.

kartorium

How heavy is this kit? Seems like a lot of extra weight to toss on for minimal gains in braking. I think it's cool someone is making a kit though, and will definitely be following any progress or news.

Why not just build a small bracket for a simple standalone ebrake caliper and an adapter for a nice brembo/wilwood/stoptech/whatever rear brake caliper? Seems like this is a more common practice. Less complicated and probably less weight.

jeverts

It looks like they have a mount for the caliper and then all the other brackets is to mount the evo rotor and ebrake setup. Wilwood makes universal ebrake caliper setup ups but they are $1200 to $1400 for the rotor and caliper.

cheekychimp

Quoting citymunky:

I have 3000GT trailing arms waiting to be installed and they look very similar to our trailing arms.

Also I wouldn't say they affect the track significantly, they add from what I read about 3mm.

They is a 4WS point in the same general area as a GVR4, but I'm not going to confirm they are will work are not.

The only major difference I noticed was the axle cups. 3KGT are a 4 bolt axle also, however the bolt pattern is not the same as a 4 bolt DSM rear axle.

Think you are off a bit there citymunky. I figure from the modifications necessary on my car, track is altered up to 12 mm on either side but 4 bolt axles fit just fine! (What year/model donor car are you using?)

You should be able to rectify any issues with the track by fitting wheels with the corresponding offset. I wouldn't describe it as a simple bolt up affair, but it's not overly complicated either. It is certainly much easier if you are happy with (and therefore install) the stock 3KGT twin pot rears. Going to a larger rear caliper/disk setup can make things a bit more of a challenge!

citymunky

The arms I have are from a early 1st gen 3000GT.

cheekychimp

Any chance NA and turbo models are spec'd differently. I'm coming up a blank on the bolt pattern differences.

prove_it

I think the NA is different since it's FWD, just like how the Galant FWD and AWD are different.

gaylantvr4

fwd are different. awd are the same from 91-99. The vr4 trailing arms are shaped a little different from galant to add more tire clearance

MDK87

It's funny how people start to offer advice on the 3KGT stuff now.
Over a year ago when I bought E9 brakes, there didn't seem to be much info available on the 3KGT install.
Cheekychimp tried to help via PM but couldn't remember how he did it as it had been a while.
So I continuously hassled Rob at Racefab for these. I'm obliged to buy a set and if I'm the first I'll try to do some sort of write up for it because seemingly, there is nothing on the internet about this swap.
It won't be anytime soon though. Tbh I'm surprised there isn't much interest in this kit given the price.
Maybe a 3KGT install would be easier but like I said, there isn't much info around on it.
Since then I've spoken to Evan at EHmotorsports, and seemingly the only things that will need attention when doing the 3KGT swap into a GVR4 would be a lower installed strut top height and different lower mounting bolt size.
Evan spoke about installing 3KGT gear into his GVR4 and I think he might be working on fabricating one piece that bolts to the lower mount and alleviates both issues. Apart from the wider rear track, I'm not sure if there are any other issues.

Thanks to razza on here for dropping into Racefab with the E39A trailing arm for Rob to work off.

Here is a bit more information for people that are interested.

click

click

Last edited:

citymunky

I don't think I have a FWD 3KGT trailing arms, I would assume that since I have axles cups than by default my trailing arms are from a 3KGT VR4.

Anyway I'm PM'ed Cheeychimp also, and yes he didn't remember everything about the swap, however he said that they did run into problems however they were not hard to overcome.

I have everything to do the swap I just want to foucs my time to get 733/2k up and running before I go spending money and time on some thing that might be sitting jack stands for years if I prioritize in the wrong order.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned