The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Upcomming build help (new to the Galant)

tboe0

Hi everyone

Im am about to get my hands on a Galant 1991 GTI !

And I have a little plan for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My goal is a daily driver, that runs great and reliable. But on top of that I would like some extra 'umf' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
And my goal is around 500whp, I hope...

But as I am new to this motor, and to what it might consist of, I would like some advise on what I should change/improve?

Im thinking a new good (and bigger) turbo(have already contacted a dealer), ECMling or some other engine management (some advise here on what to use), bigger cams(which to use??), a stronger clutch, and this is where i need further help... What parts should be changed and what to?
As it is to be a daily, economy is also a factor(mpg / km/l)...

Best hopes
Tobias /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

swe_gvr4_1991

Hi and welcome!

The GTi has a very weak transmission so that has to change. There are FWD DSM transmissions available from the US crowd. Or are you running a Dynamic-4 Galant? If so then that trans is even weaker.
In any case, none of those will hold even 250 hp i'm afraid.

Last edited:

tboe0

And my dreams is crumbling...
It's a Mitsubishi Galant 2,0 GTi 16V Dynamic-4 1991

So the whole driveline has to go? Its too weak?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
500 hp it probably too high to achieve "economy" in a daily driver.

swe_gvr4_1991

There has been many D4's converted to turbo over here in Sweden. None, not even one has hit 250 hp without breaking the trans. Search for the transmission workshop manual and you will see for yourself that the D4 parts are nowhere close to handling the power.
The easiest way is just to import a GVR4 or get a cheap EVO3 and start swapping the parts over. You still need to fabricate alot of things since the EVO3 is not a direct swap. But it can be done with a few good friends and alot of time.

A small parts list would be:
* Turbo pistons.
* Turbo, manifold and intercooler.
* Injectors (and resistor pack), turbo MAF, and EPROM ECU.
* Driveline parts.
* Time, alot of time.

Last edited:

EMX5636

Quoting iceman69510:
500 hp it probably too high to achieve "economy" in a daily driver.

Speak for yourself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts