The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Power steering issue

Gtpdz

Has any one have a similar issue where the power steering only works when turning the steering wheel to one side?

thomcasey

I have seen it where it will absolutely not move in one direction temporarily but never fails when the PS pump is disabled. But, what you are describing is a definite Rack issue as the PS pump doesn't care what direction you turn.

Gtpdz

Thanks, that's what I have been wondering about, will try to swap in a different one and see how it does.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Before tearing into it, I would eyeball all the external lines

A kinked / restricted external crossfeed line (external to the rack) can cause this.

Does this vehicle still have aws?

It's *possible* that damage to one of the feed lines to the rear rack could also cause this problem on an aws equipped vehicle.

If all the external stuff looks good, it may be a damaged spool valve (internal to the rack)

Gtpdz

the vehicle still have all the 4WS device and line hooked up, Iam not sure if it works, is there a way to check that? although no visible leak outside though.

Gtpdz

Finally taking a look at this issue, looks like the rack has been rebuilt before with Koyo steering gear, however one external cross feed line that goes into the left chamber was crushed (car once bottomed judging by the dent on the down pipe below). So I guess that's the reason here as the car has very little ps when turning left.

Will try replacing this line with the rack on the car and see if it goes away.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts