The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

VR4 Knock Sensor thread size

91aussievr4

Hi guys,

I have just finished wiring my ecu into my VR4, i am replacing the knock sensor as it looks factory and I want an accurate sensor when the boost goes up and its tuned on ethanol. What i need to know is what the thread size is for the factory knock sensors so i can replace it with a bolt and a bosch knock sensor.

Thanks guys

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Oops. Misread original post.

Last edited:

r4pt0x

What ECU are you using? Knock sensors are often internally damped/filtered with an capacitor and sometimes even with an resistor parallel to the piezo crystal. The sensor has to match what the ECU is expecting...
The old knock sensors which are filled with black plastic are heavily damped/filtered so the ECU doesn't have to apply lots of CPU-intensive filters on the signal. Evo 6+ sensors for example are not damped - all signal filtering is done within the ECU. If you wire an Evo sensor to an old ECU it will constantly read high knock whereas an evo ECU wouldn't read any knock with one of the old sensors until the engine falls apart...

Anyways, sensor thread should be M10x1. Torque any knock sensor exactly to spec or the readings will be completely off

91aussievr4

Im using a Haltech Elite 1500. I work for Haltech and we carry a Bosch knock sensors that have a 8mm (5/16") mounting hole. Looks like ill need to find another knock sensor that will suit the M10x1 thread

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned