The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM vr4 needs dsm link.

fuel

no, because the JDM wiring loom will have the Cyclone inlet manifold wired in and the USDM would have no idea what to do with Cyclone.

swe_gvr4_1991

The deal with the USDM vs JDM Cyclone code is that in the JDM that part of the code is active since it's hardwired in the ECU, routed to the EGR pin. Cyclones don't have EGR as you know and instead uses this for the Cyclone.
On a USDM code the routine is still there but does not activate anything since the EGR pin is used for EGR. The wiring on the ECU is cut from the processors pin to the EGR and hence enabling EGR instead.

If you were to just put in a USDM ECU and run it like stock the EGR will be triggered and will be open/closing the Cyclone at the wrong time. In ECMlink you can disable the stock EGR and set the activation to 4600 RPM and use a 3 port solenoid.

Simple answer, yes you can use a USDM ECU in a JDM car. But you have to reconfigure the EGR pin properly in the ECMlink settings.

Edit: But you CANNOT use a JDM eprom ECU in a USDM car without removing the hardwired resistors and jumpers. The JDM ECU will blow your ABS pump.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
That is by far one of the most detailed and important posts (concerning the use of the Cyclone) I have seen in a long time.

Thank you for that Swede!

cheekychimp

Quoting swe_gvr4_1991:
The deal with the USDM vs JDM Cyclone code is that in the JDM that part of the code is active since it's hardwired in the ECU, routed to the EGR pin. Cyclones don't have EGR as you know and instead uses this for the Cyclone.
On a USDM code the routine is still there but does not activate anything since the EGR pin is used for EGR. The wiring on the ECU is cut from the processors pin to the EGR and hence enabling EGR instead.

If you were to just put in a USDM ECU and run it like stock the EGR will be triggered and will be open/closing the Cyclone at the wrong time. In ECMlink you can disable the stock EGR and set the activation to 4600 RPM and use a 3 port solenoid.

Simple answer, yes you can use a USDM ECU in a JDM car. But you have to reconfigure the EGR pin properly in the ECMlink settings.

Edit: But you CANNOT use a JDM eprom ECU in a USDM car without removing the hardwired resistors and jumpers. The JDM ECU will blow your ABS pump.

Okay so if I have a JDM car without the cyclone intake manifold there should be no issue running DSMLink on a USDM ECU (well other than the CEL for the fuel pump which you can disable)?

Last edited:

swe_gvr4_1991

That is correct.
But there is the ABS issue. USDM cars use the ABS pin #11. If your JDM car is also ABS it should be fine. If not you will hear a very loud humming sound from the ABS pump if you have one. The humming is what kills the pump.
On a car without ABS there shouldn't be a wire populating pin #11. And if so you're good to go.

Quoting FlyingEagle:
That is by far one of the most detailed and important posts (concerning the use of the Cyclone) I have seen in a long time.

Thank you for that Swede!

Anytime!. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

tektic

I have been using the FPR solenoid To activate mine. I'd like to hook my fpr solenoid back up to my fpr if it is that easy.

What's the address for the egr rpm values? Is it as easy as changing the rpm trigger points or is more code editing involved in using the cyclone off the egr solenoid?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned