The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

how long can my galant be jsb before problems occur

Kibby

As in brakes locking up fuel going bad etc. Unfortunately some dumb b ran into my wife at a red light and broke her neck, so to speak, and ive had a major decrease in funds as well as shes not getting better. I have most of the parts to put i5 back together but im afraid to spend any money til she gets better or her insurance company writes a fat check. Its been jsb since last winter. Planned to have it running by now. She got hit in January.

MellowVR4

I think as long as you drain the fuel, put new spark plugs in and you should be fine. Also if moisture doesn't get to the brakes they should be fine aswell.

prove_it

Fluids break down over time. I had 1284 sitting for 7 years. Drained all fluids, and flushed the best I could. Called it good.

Gas will last 6 months before the octane breaks down and its junk. Oil has a 3 month life span, but won't become acidic for 9-12 months. Nothing should rust or "lock-up" as long it's not 80% humidity. Break fluid will absorb humidity, but clean out the tank and bleed brakes and it's fine. If something sticks, then it needed to be replaced anyway.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting Kibby:
As in brakes locking up fuel going bad etc. Unfortunately some dumb b ran into my wife at a red light and broke her neck, so to speak, and ive had a major decrease in funds as well as shes not getting better. I have most of the parts to put i5 back together but im afraid to spend any money til she gets better or her insurance company writes a fat check. Its been jsb since last winter. Planned to have it running by now. She got hit in January.

If the wheels weren't covered and sat outside in the elements, versus being garaged, then you will likely have to remove and buff the rotors. Gas should be fine, add some fuel stabilizer to whatever is in the tank and fill it up. Get the highest octane you can. My Colt sat with 94 Octane for nearly three years and still fired right up (garaged for all but 4 warmer months). Put fresh oil and a filter, run it to operating temperature and shut it down, and call it good.

You could do none of the above, and as long as you have good 91 octane fuel, and will buff the rotors before driving it again, you should be fine. Maybe some wheel covers, heck even plastic bagged!

RayH

Without usage, my clutch master or slave went bad, haven't worked on it so not sure which. You'll also want a trickle charger on the battery.

JNR

[EDIT - was thinking this was a really long term case] Change the tires, even if they look OK. Radials can sit without permanently being distorted, but wouldn't want to risk old rubber, especially if its seen UV's.

Be good to prime the engine before you start it up, so everything gets a coat of oil.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned