The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tranny Help

Pano

Got tuned Saturday made 400awhp and on the way home I got on it and heard a loud pop and my car shut off etc. So I pulled my tranny and a piece of the casing cracked and tore my clutch up. what I want to know is what cars have the same tranny as me. Its a TRE stage 3 but the casing looks different then other vr4 trannies I compared the pics to.

here are pics of my tranny and what snapped, any helpful input is appreciated

img.php

img.php

img.php

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Not right yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Pano

ah I tried to make the images bigger... tranny was painted over so I cant see any numbers or anything

BENE38A

Looks like a transmission from a 7 bolt 4g63, has extra bolt holes. The letters and numbers should be stamped on the bell-housing between the top two flanges that bolt to the block. Give it a sand and you should be able to pick up the letters and numbers.

Pano

Thank you I found the numbers it us a W5m3 tranny 6 bolt I believe. Any idea what's my best bet on location one ?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting Pano:
Thank you I found the numbers it us a W5m3 tranny 6 bolt I believe. Any idea what's my best bet on location one ?

My suggestion is contact TRE if it is a TRE built unit. He usually has cores and spares around. Likely he can take care of fixing it with used parts.

Pano

So it's been a few weeks since the casing cracked and I finally got the car back together with a new twin disc. I figured out why my casing cracked in the first place, my tranny bolts coke loose way to easily. I put lock tight on them last night bc they even came out after I put the new tranny on. Any ideas why they come loose?

prove_it

Vibration and bell housing flex.

Coltsfan

Make sure you have both alignment dowels between the block and bell housing.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts