The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Remote starter while working in the engine bay

Arty

I'm trying to fix a crank but no start fault.
I'm working on my own and I need to be able to crank the engine from the engine bay.
I can't get a clip lead attached directly to the solenoid on the starter motor itself.
Is there a connector in the engine bay that the starter motor solenoid wire goes through that I can get a probe or clip lead onto.
Any idea where the starter motor relay is positioned inside the car? When I try to start the car with the key I hear a relay clunking under the glove box on the left side passenger footwell
but the only relay I can find there is what looks like the cigarette packet sized can that I think is the MFI relay?
I'm in Australia so lots of components are positioned on the opposite side of where they are on the USDM cars.

Where is the starter relay on the USDM cars, how is it mounted to the car?

TIA for any help.

AllanL

starter relay on the MT cars is by the relay block underneath the meter panel.

find the thicker black-Yellow wire that goes with the back-up switch sub-harness that crawls along the top of the tranny going to the starter.

short this to 12V.

be careful...

Arty

thanks for the reply.
Still not sure where it is.
By meter panel do you mean the speedometer, tacho cluster, inside the cabin?

AllanL

yes, you have to remove the plastic trim under the dash board and steering column to see this relay cluster.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned