The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

radiator fan wont shut off

chrisfullwood

As soon as power is applied from the battery... my radiator fan comes on and wont shut off. I have a turbo timer and the fan is rewired to stay on, as long as the ignition is in the on position. but once the turbo timer counts down, and the car is shut down its supposed to be off.

It used to work, but since the rebuild for some reason it wont shut off.

Something else i noticed, my hazard light fuse keeps blowing.

Any ideas?

thanks
chris

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Well the fan has been rewired, so it's anyone guess what's screwed up at this point. If you want help, you'll have to explain how it is currently configured. Otherwise, all I can tell you is that it's wired wrong...Obviously.

chrisfullwood

while your point is valid.

The wiring configurations hasn't changed from when it operated properly to now.
But thank you.

prove_it

Unless the wiring was done wrong and during the project the harness got moved around and a wire came loose or shorted out.

toybreaker

iconoclast
That's an interesting pair of problems!

Those systems share a pair of common grounding points in the the engine compartment.

It's *possible* if they are not connected (or corrosion is present) that you could get these symptoms.

[edit] this is the connector

They are located on the inner fenderwells up towards the top on either side of the engine bay, toward the front.

Scrape any paint off the body around the screw hole, hit the terminal with a wire brush, and good luck,

... hope it's that simple /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chrisfullwood

interesting.. thank you. This is why i appeal to this group, because there are people who know every in and out of these cars.

Ill check it when the snow melts.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting chrisfullwood:
while your point is valid.

The wiring configurations hasn't changed from when it operated properly to now.
But thank you.

It doesn't matter that the wiring configuration hasn't changed, it's still not working, right? In my first post, I was trying to point out that unless you can outline exactly how the system is currently wired, it's pretty much impossible for anyone to give you any worthwhile troubleshooting advice. Like I said, unless you clearly demonstrate how the fan is currently wired, we're all just guessing in the dark.

What circuit is the fan drawing power from, and where? Did you wire a relay in? Where is it grounded? These are the types of questions you'll need to answer if you really want logical advice. You'd be best off to draw a quick diagram, showing how the fan is currently wired.

Here's a good diagram. Use this to show us where the wiring has been modified. Just draw over it using MSpaint or something.
108192-0-0-0.jpg

chrisfullwood

Thank you for the schematics. Unfortunately. the fan wiring has been the same since i brought the car, i have no idea how the previous owner wired it up. I took a picture of the connector with the splices, maybe it will require me removing it all and rewiring it from scratch. i dont know. But i went to check the car and the battery was almost completely dead aswell, in about 2 days which is unusual. so it seems there are some weird electrical issues going on. for example. key out of the ignition, door open, i can roll the window down. I dont believe that is normal?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
You ignition is staying "on" for some reason.

Check your ignition switch assembly.

Key out, cars should go dead unless they have a time delay function or RAP relay that allows the radio and other bits to operate until a door is opened (ala GM).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned