The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Not running a thermostat?

CarRacer

I tapped my lower thermostat housing for a mechanical water temp gauge on my motor swap project and the gauge (parts store special) sender I used to mock it up was shorter than the actual gauge (autometer) sender I ended up using. Now it hits the thermostat where it cleared previously. Any issues running the car without a thermostat? I know it'll be slow to get to temp but anything else to be wary of? The radiator is a civic half size and the electric fan is keyed to switched 12v, so it is always running.

ktmrider

^^ You may never get into Closed Loop engine operation w/o a t-stat.

Also you can actually experience over-heating w/o one too, t-stat also acts as a flow controller. Too fast/high flow will move the coolant thru the rad before sufficient heat exchange can occur.

Olson

Put a plate in there with some holes in it to slow down the water flow and it will be just fine.
Instead of just telling him it wont work suggest a solution for him....

CutlassJim

Quoting ktmrider:
^^ You may never get into Closed Loop engine operation w/o a t-stat.

Also you can actually experience over-heating w/o one too, t-stat also acts as a flow controller. Too fast/high flow will move the coolant thru the rad before sufficient heat exchange can occur.

While this is true what I always see happen is that you get good water temp readings(too low actually) so you think you are fine but in reality the block and head are overheating because the coolant isn't in contact with the engine long enough for the exchange of energy to occur.

Every time I've seen someone run with no thermostat they've used a spacer plate with holes drilled in it. You have to play with the hole diameter to get the proper flow based on your engine and use and radiator bla bla bla. Having your fan on a thermostat would also be a very good idea or warm up to closed loop can take forever or never happen at all.

prove_it

You could "hollow" out an old thermostat. Basically cut out the center piston section. This will leave a smaller hole and will work better, but a true thermostat is better.

No change of plugging the hole you made and relocating the gauge sender to run a thermostat?

CarRacer

I thought about it but where else could I run the sender? We've run the flow restricting plates in our small blocks previously and also gutted a thermostat to create a ghetto one in other cars. Worst case I put one of those in and hook up a temp switch to the fan.

It's all apart now so I haven't done anything yet.

transparentdsm

Quoting Olson:
Instead of just telling him it wont work suggest a solution for him....

then he should get a different sensor or relocate his current sensor so he can use a thermostat and do things properly, but i don't really think that is something that should have to be spelled out.

CarRacer

No go, I switched to a 1.8l upper thermostat housing so there's a radiator cap in that location.

CarRacer

Is a 1/2" long chunk of pipe with a 1/2" npt female on one end and make on the other a thing? Spacing it out sounds like the best solution.

prove_it

It doesn't look like it would take much to gain clearance with spacing it out.

What kinda car is this in? Just noticed the firewall in the pic. RWD 4G63 _____?

prove_it

Oh yea, been following that. Very nice.

Olson

Now you see how this thread is very constructive now

Good job guys. when other people see this thread they will learn something other than running no stat is bad.

prove_it

Op orginally asked if there would be an issue running without one. I don't see where there were a bunch of comments about not being helpful.

Calm down.

ktmrider

Quoting Olson:
Now you see how this thread is very constructive now

Good job guys. when other people see this thread they will learn something other than running no stat is bad.

Constructive? How to half-azz something? Go back to your DSM mentality....

turbowop

Whether constructive or not, nobody was in the wrong by telling him it's not a good idea. Running a tstat is the best solution. If Olson is worried about the content in this thread, I'd like to see how he'd fare on other automotive forums or worse...facebook auto groups. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

prove_it

What do you mean? I thought it was all polite gentlemanly comments over there.........

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts