The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HELP ECU

tiburshok

Hi, I would like to know if this ecu eprom MD312467 can be a replacement to my current ecu MD128618? will it be bolt on? sorry im noob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fuel

Nope not going to work.

MD312467 is from the N23W RVR 5M/T with the 7-bolt 4G63, 510cc injectors, big16g turbo, separate cam/crank triggers and no Cyclone inlet manifold actuation. It is more similar to the Lancer Evo1-3 ECU

MD128618 is from the pre-facelift JDM E38A/E39A VR-4 with 6-bolt 4G63, Cyclone actuation, 450cc injectors and 14b turbo.

Not only are the pin-outs incorrect, but the fuel maps will be different and you wont be able to control the Cyclone inlet manifold.

thomcasey

^^^ If you have an evo 1-3 you can make it work, but not a 6g vr4.

RVR ECU

edit: posted before I read deeper. corrected.

Last edited:

fuel

^^^ Nope nope nope.

Early turbo RVRs ran the Evo1-3 7-bolt engine with Evo style AFM and the same CAS as GVR-4 and Evo1-3 but with 450cc injectors for both auto and manual models. The ECU pin-out is the same as Lancer Evo1-3 but wont work with E38A/E39A Galant.

The later N23W turbo RVR Hyper Sports Gear which this ECU in question is from runs the 510cc injectors and late 2G T/E/L style cam/crank sensor pickup.

tiburshok

Thanks for the reply guys.. would it be hard to rewire this ecu to replace my current ecu?like converting evo3 ecu to 1g?my plan was to tune my engine so i can upgrade it. Or should i abandon this rvr ecu and look for less complicated way.

fuel

It's too much hassle for what it's worth. The RVR/Evo1-3 ECU has the same processor speed and relatively low-res fuel/ignition map scale and will not control your Cyclone inlet manifold. If you are going to rewire for another ECU, you may as well fit an Evo7/8 ECU instead which is much more modern with a high res fuel/ignition map scale and faster processor, not to mention you can re-flash and tune much easier with EvoScan. Have a look in the how-to section on how to convert to Evo7/8 ECU. You will have to do something about the Cyclone however with the Evo 7/8 ECU you could re-configure one of the outputs (ie stock boost control solenoid or stock EVAP solenoid) to trigger the Cyclone instead, or failing that use an aftermarket RPM based controller switch. I will eventually be doing this very conversion to my JDM VR-4.

tiburshok

Nice that clears a lot, i think i will follow your post sir fuel incase you document your conversion of your jdm vr4. Time for me to look for evo 8 ecu /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

r4pt0x

Quoting fuel:
[...]If you are going to rewire for another ECU, you may as well fit an Evo7/8 ECU instead which is much more modern with a high res fuel/ignition map scale and faster processor, not to mention you can re-flash and tune much easier with EvoScan.[...]

That's exactly what I would have suggested. I'm also using an Evo7/8 ECU on an VR4 block with 4G67 head (for higher compression), VR4 camshafts, Evo3 16G, Evo4 MAF and Evo9 Injectors - despite being a total bastard and having no more balance shafts, the Engine runs smoother than any other old 4G63 i've ever seen before. 750-800 rpm idle without any hickups and power/torque is awesome with positive pressure right from ~1800rpm and >1bar under 3000rpm (running with 1.4-1.5 bar hold).
You can even actuate the cyclone with the evo 7/8 ECU by using the "fuel pump hi" output which is triggered by a given load point which is also the more accurate way than rpm (ecu load is directly linked to airflow which is what we want to control/optimize with the cyclone...)

prove_it

How many outputs can you control with an Evo ECU? I love my Link V3 but having 2 output controls kinda sucks.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned