The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Timeserts and Bigserts

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Anyone ever used the Bigsert variation of these threaded inserts? I have some flaky exhaust manifold studs again, and I think I have already Helicoiled some of them. The Bigserts are supposed to be used where a repair has already been tried. Just looking for what anyone might have to say about them.

To that point, if anyone has a Bigsert kit in 8x 1.25 mm and would like to loan it to me, that would be great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif I probably only really need to do two of them with Bigserts, but I may buy a regular timesert kit to do the others I have not done already.

Bigserts

prove_it

Looks like a thicker version of the time sert. I absolutely love time serts. Use them solely now at work on all sizes. Spendy to have all the kits, but damn is it far superior to heli-coils. I would get on amazon, as I've seen the kits there the cheapest. I would recommend buying the 8mm kit, you'll use it more than you imagine. I would borrow you my 8mm kit, but alas I broke the tap the other day, still waiting for a replacement. Not sure on an eta, as work is too slow to spend money.

G

Staff member

Fish

These look way better than helicoils. Why haven't I ever seen these until now? Are they worth the additional cost and is it a more permanent repair than a helicoil?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I think they should be pretty permanent, They are solid body, lock in as the lower threads are deformed during installation. Site says you can use locktite to hold them too. For the cylinder head they seem a much better option than helicoil, although I have had those work in the past. The solid steel insert should hold up much better in the soft aluminum and deal with the heat cycles.

I have only ever used the 5mm version of these in a sunroof repair where we kept having problems with the screws wanting to pull out the threads from the tracks.

prove_it

These are used as a recommended repair for damaged head bolt threads on several manufactures. I would say they are permanent and reliable.

JNR

I'm not sure of your resources, but I ended up sourcing out my own STI tap, had the M8 tap and made a pilot bushing to keep it straight. Didn't cost much that way. Let me know if you need to borrow it.

SleepinGVR4

I broke down and bought a time sert kit specifically for doing my exhaust housing if i ever stripped one out.

Last time I used the inserts I just dropped off my exhaust housing with the kit at my machinist. He doesn't have metric time serts so I bought the kit and just give it to him whenever I strip out one of the exhaust housing holes.

He swears by them and I've never had a problem after having them installed.

I just don't have a drill press or anyway to make sure the housing is level when using the tap or counter bore.

JNR

^^^This is why I made a pilot bushing...basically it's a length of solid aluminum rod (hex shaped in this case) that you make a through hole that would be a corresponding size to the drill size needed for the tap. It should be at least 1/2" long, but 1" would be better. The overall diameter (or hex size in this case) of the bushing should be enough to keep it perpendicular to the surface you are drilling, but not so big that it interferes with something else, obviously. You hold the bushing against the head and hold it with one hand (why a hex is nicer for grip) and drill using the other.

If you are going to do the exhaust stud threads with the engine in the car, may want to invest in or borrow a right angle drill, as a conventional doesn't quite work with the bits installed.

Also with the Timesert, you'll need a counterbore and to make one 'x' deep, per the inserts' specs.

They work great and were really easy to install with the right stuff (or suppose the kit). Tempted to do all of them just because.

Forgot what the kits ran, but think I spent ~$20 on mine, with the STI tap being the most $$ part. I have a cool surplus store near me that I was able to find the M8 tap for good price, along with the counterbore bit. Already had the drill bit(s) and made the bushing from stock I have laying around on the lathe. There are other things you can obtain that will serve as a pilot bushing, if you are creative.

curtis

Used both and damn worth it. Actually did the salve mounting holes on a buddies honda while I was on the phone with Boostx one day. Bumper radiator turbo header etc was out of the car but still did it as a one hand operation. Would love to have the master kit of all sizes metric and standard but sh*t would get pricey fast.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts