The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

short block assembly

tektic

I set the regular bearings and torqued their caps but left the center cap loose. I then applied pressure in both directions to the crank. I measured .004 end play, returns to 0 and torqued the center cap.

With a feeler gauge I measured the thrust bearing clearence @ .0025 on the back top and bottom but can't get a .0015 in on the front side. Does this need to be corrected? If so how?

The resident tech at total seal told me that ring flutter is a myth and that I should set both my gaps to .020. He went on to say that they purposely set out to cause it on a dyno and had a very difficult time doing so.

Any way .020 sound good for a 16 or 20g set up at around 25psi with a 8.8:1 actual compression ratio?

Last edited:

tektic

I guess not checking so much as monetering while I was aligning the thrust bearing surfaces in the center main.

How are those ring gap numbers?
Edit: called total seal and this guy said 24top 21-22 second

Last edited:

thruarod

I usually take a piece of aluminum and hammer the crank back and forth with the thrust bearing cap loose(not completely loose, maybe 5-10 ftlbs so its not falling off) to align the bearing halves. If there is still not enough I use a piece of 1200 or 1500 sandpaper wrapped around a known straight block of steel in a parts washer and lightly rub the thrust surface. Clean, check clearance, repeat as necessary.

Last edited:

tektic

Total seal told me to install my pistons clean ad dry with a little wd40 on the skirts. They recommend their quick seat powder but said it wasn't necessary.

Does that seem odd?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Not extremely. It's not like things are moving and generating friction/heat.

That said, I always use ATF in the bores and on the pistons and rings.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned