The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

trans/tcase/diff service.

turbohf

ok. its probably time for me to do this again. but I got a couple questions:

what size washers do I need for all these? I think I had a random one hanging around for the trans drain last time, but I would like to replace all of them this time. I don't see them listed in the vfaq or online catalog.

trans takes 2.5q of Redline MT90... I remember that
T-case was .5q of lightweight shockproof??
diff... well I never did the diff on my car. I have a 4bolt LSD I'm putting in.... 1q of heavy shockproof??

thanks

edit with info found:
fill washers are 16mm
drain washers are 18mm
transmission: 2.4 quarts (Redline MT85)
transfer case: 0.5 quarts (Redline Lightweight Shockproof) click
rear differential: 0.9 quarts (Redline Lightweight Shockproof) click

Last edited:

thomcasey

The transmission should only take 1.95qt's of fluid (till it starts coming back out of the front fill hole) IIRC. 2.5 would be way high

prove_it

No, that's not enough, trans takes over 2.

turbohf

so dealer was no help on the crush washers either. he just said he could order them.

I'm pretty sure used a Honda ATF drain washer on the trans last time. 18mm. guess most of the rest of them are 18/20mm?

GSTwithPSI

Trans: Redline MT-90
Transfer Case: Redline Heavyweight Shockproof
Rear Diff: Redline Heavyweight Shockproof

Or if you want spend a bit more, go with NEO RHD in the tranny and Redline Heavyweight Shockproof in the T-Case and Rear Diff.

Capacities

Pro tip for filling the trans: remove the speedo gear and get one of those long transmission fluid funnels. Stick the long transmission funnel (or a typical funnel with a hose attached) into the speedo hole, and then dump in exactly 2 1/2 quarts of MT-90 (spec is 2.4 qts). It will save you the hassle of pumping it in.

You still have to pump it in the rear diff and xfer case, but they have small capacities compared to the trans.

images

or

61siHo5hzHL._SX450_.jpg

As far as the plugs go, you'll have to probably find the crush washer at a hardware store, or just order new plugs (which is what I would do). They are fairly cheap anyways, and all come with new crush washers.
OEM Rear Diff Drain Plug Kit
OEM Rear Differential Fill Plug Kit
OEM Transfer Case Drain Plug
OEM Transmission Drain Plug

More info on gear oil here ---> click

Last edited:

turbohf

jacks transmission says lightweight shockproof in tcase and diff. just found that...??

sweet deal on the speed sensor, I have that funnel I use to fill my Honda's the same way.

as for the washers, we have 12/14/18/20mm washers we use on Honda's (I work at honda).

thanks

tektic

I used a pump from the bottom. It works for everything. Thumb gets a little tired by the second qt though.

post 800

Last edited:

turbohf

im liking this post. some good stuff with the funnels and filling threw the speed sensor. i updated my first post for future searches with washer sizes and quantities.

still not sure on which is better or should be used in transfer case and differential. LIGHT or HEAVY?

i found this: click

it says light. says to use Diaqueen in Evo 8/9, and i also remember reading you can use that in the earlier stuff. and says for high stress to use heavyweight. should have noted that i have a built 2.4L in my car with FPRed and other goodies. so im guessing that pushes me towards a more stressed setup?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Opinions always differ, but I use Redline MT-85 in the trans. It is a newer product than the MT 90 and stated by Redline as a direct equivalent to the Mitsubishi factory fluid. Maybe it was not available when Jack's made their page. It also matches the viscosity of what is specified in the service manual.

Redline MT-85

turbohf

right i seem to remember that now. i just took a look and your right, im actually using MT85 currently. thanks.

clevr4

High rpm 4k or more my gears grind...3 and 4. I'm wondering if I switch the tcase fluid with red line will it solve this issue? Turbo is no fun with a grind every shift

clevr4

I have been reading on some of the sources provided by hertz. Should I use all red line mt95, or is it going to wear down transmission quicker?

362Ryan

Im running straight MT90 in mine with no issues.

I would consider the MT85 and maybe a little Royal Purple syncromax to help with your case. There are plenty of theories to chose from.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned