The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Polishing internal trans case.

prove_it

Been thinking about whether or not to clean up the inside of my trans case and polishing the insides to allow flung fluid to retreat back to the bottom faster.
Posting this to see what the opinion of the gurus here have to say. Part of me is thinking its a wasted effort, but want opinions.

ghostinthevr4

Haven't really seen the inside of a transfer case but looking at the outside dimension of one I would think it would be a waste. I thought the gears would be half way submerged in fluid already. If you have spare parts and want something to polish, polish the inside the head.

Polish the groves on the inner side of the head that will allow your engine oil to drain back to the pain faster.

prove_it

I'm talking about the transmission, not transfer case.

brisvr4

I wouldn't bother with the case, it won't help anything.
However, I do know of a couple of race teams over here that have had success with micro polishing the actual gears. Helps to relieve stress on the gear faces and should also increase surface contact area a tiny bit.
And make sure to shim the box correctly. It's amazing just how much power these can take with just decent shimming!

cheekychimp

I have often thought about taking the gear driven 4WS pump from the 3 bolt rear end and fitting it to the 4 bolt rear diff housing and using it to pump transmission fluid to the transmission case. The only thing that really stopped me was that putting a diff cooler at the front of the car meant a whole load of lines. Obvious solution is a cooler at the back but I've never really found a suitable location to get sufficient airflow without it getting clogged up with crud.

Lancer99

^ Why not mount a cooler in the back bumper and have some custom air flow through one of the bumper and exit the back bumper? And like have a little scoop sticking out the side. Just throwing ideas out there.

brisvr4

How much pressure does the rear pump put out though?
I'd think that you'd need more of a low pressure/medium volume type of pump.

cheekychimp

Your probably right Tim. It wouldn't be constant either would it? I presume it would flow more the faster you went. At one time I thought that might be an advantage i.e. more flow the faster the gears were turning but I recall someone running a high flow pump on a radiator and it turned out the car ran hotter because the water was going through the radiator too fast to allow the cooling fins to do their job.

Lancer good call on the bumper idea. I still think you can get a lot of dirt up there. It's probably possible to seal it off from underneath and use ducting for the airflow though. I mean some cars have rear mounted radiators right?

prove_it

The GTRs have rear mounted trans coolers in the aftermarket. I've thought about the rear diff pump as a trans or rear diff cooler before. Like mentioned, it would add a whole lot of lines.

I'll probably just clean off any flashing in the transmission and clean up oil holes. Thanks guys.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts