The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What is needed for a 2g motor install in the vr4?

turbophein

i am buying a rebuilt 7 bolt for really good money and was wondering what is needed to swap this motor in a VR4? if i read correctly i need to use a 2g tranny also which is good considering they are stronger right?

i mean the motor is $50 he is well known on the forums and is now out of the game and just wants to clean up his garage. he said he had it rebuilt and never installed it before the car was sold. $50!!!!!!!!

prove_it

2G trans will not work without mods. You'll need to do something about the mounts. Also the gear ratio is wrong for the final drive. You'll need a rear diff to match. Also you'll need the 1G timing side mount with timing cover. I know going 6 bolt into a 2g requires wiring changes for the crank sensor, but you don't need to do that.

The thermo housing is different too.

For 50 bucks its worth that alone in scrap. nice find.

Chad989of2000

Maybe sell it and put that money towards a 6-Bolt. Amazing deal though.

turbophein

thanks i guess i will just pull the head off and enlarge the stud holes and slap in on my used 6 bolt block...

89Mirageman

I'm almost positive the block will have the threaded bosses on the rear for an engine mount, the front won't. You can get creative I'm sure to come up with something to fix that issue though. I just went through something similar putting a 2.4 7 bolt in my colt. I'd just bolt up your GVR4 trans and fabricate a front engine mount. You can also mod a 6 bolt timing belt bracket and mount to work on the 7 bolt engine. This is covered in any 6 bolt in a 2g swap, you'd just need to do the opposite.

BENE38A

you could modify or make a new north south crossmember with gearbox mounts for the 2g gearbox just like an evo 1-3 is setup?

89Mirageman

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on if there is enough room or not. This was my plan on the colt but the rear trans mount hit the steering rack. That's why I chose to use the mount on the block for the rear. GVR4 may be completely different though, just throwing this out there.

LIV4PSI

On 2G automatic setups, I know the frame rail needs to be notched for them to fit. Not sure if manual is the same

EMX5636

Prove_it is mostly right. The trans ratio is only different for a 97-99 trans, and you don't need the rear, you need the matching T-case. For the block, I wouldn't bother, as others have mentioned, it requires a custom front bracket (rear bolts in though).

AllanL

if it is a direct swap, you do without changing the t/belt side mount.

instead install this 40mm spacer between the support and block mount.

i believe the galants with the dohc 4G63 use this support...

for the radiator side bracket mod, i'm looking for the pic...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned