The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

91 VR4 starts briefly and then dies. Car is mostly stock, and has repaired ecu

ou812

I have not messed with my VR4 in a couple years, but need to get it running properly again. Had the ecu repaired, as it had cap leakage issues. Now, even when swapping with a known good ecu, the car will fire right up, but then die in a few seconds. I am thinking that the fuel shuts off, or possibly ignition? I havent dug into it yet, but wondered if there is a good direction to start looking before going out in the cold!

thoughts or suggestions?

thanks,
Jeff

presterone

Even with you pumping the gas pedal? Does it idle briefly or just fires....dies...fires.. Dies. Pop a vac Line and have a friend spray starting fluid or carb cleaner to see if you can keep it going.

Also my car did this similar thing with a bad maf but it would stumble and studder briefly as I was trying to open the throttle to keep it running

brisvr4

Also check the connections on the temp sender for the ecu.

Wookalar

If the car has been sitting for years it will need the fuel drained and new gas. If you are anywhere north with moisture, snow or rain there is likely water in the gas.

tektic

If you can keep it running by opening the throttle, my vote is isc.

Last edited:

ou812

car will not keep running, with throttle, full or anything in between.

Yes, before firing it again I will drain out the fuel....not fun, but necessary in this day of ethanol gas.

I will have to get the battery charged, and give it a go this weekend....

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Find the MPI relay. Check if it clicks off when the car stalls. I know you state a "known good ECU" is being used, but that is the classic sign of the damaged ECU fuel pump circuit cutting out.

There is a way to jump the MPI relay to keep it running (would not recommend long term, but works short term). I have gotten disabled cars running again this way a couple times.

Wizardawd

In that same sense, MPI relay is probably fine, but from sitting for so long I feel it's more of a bad fuel/fuel pump issue. Starting then stopping right after is almost always a fuel issue. And most premium gas should be non-ethanol, but still doesn't like sitting for longer than 6 months.

Wiz

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned