The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What are potential problems from installing ARP's upside?

turbophein

i pulled the VC after doing a compression test. test results were 0-70-0-90 psi I found a set of ARP's installed upside down!!! the allen head side is in the block, so in turn they are all at different heights in the head because they couldn't screw them in properly. so i'm hoping that maybe the headgasket blew within the 5 miles he said he drove it. then he said it idled rough the next morning and then died out and wouldn't start. he said he and his buddy rebuilt the whole engine. i don't know how i feel about this, nothing else i can visually see is correctly done.

Looking for opinions on the headgasket, before i rip into it. lol

EHmotorsports

Lets just hope none of the threads pulled out of the block due to not being screwed in all of the way. I would remove the head and have it checked out for warpage and test to make sure the valves are sealing properly. after that i would clean out and inspect the threads in the block. also verify the head studs are not binding in the head due to the bigger diameter studs. you will know if you can't get the head off with the studs in the block. (my guess is they installed the studs after they dropped the head on) also replace the headgasket any time you remove the head.

transparentdsm

^ agreed, replace head gasket and have head checked and even resurfaced if you can. who knows you might not be in to bad of shape.

turbophein

thanks for your input. i'm hoping the bottom end is good as i do not want to do a motor swap mid winter. its only getting colder here with no garage.

i mainly want to know if you guys think the compression l lost was from the headgasket blowing out versus piston problems. thats what it is in my mind. he did send me a video of it running or 30 sec lol.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned