The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

sohc vs dohc Hyundai Front Cover

tektic

This is a confirmed fit for the dohc 6 bolt: Part#21310-33142 it's for a 92-95 hyundai sonata
open-uri20120713-31620-1v067qy.

This is from the 89-91 2.4l: Part#622-0056

It has a little tab at the top circled. It may get caught under the tensioner arm on the dohc setup. Is that the only difference? If you notice the factory pump cover gasket actually extends up where this tab is at the top, so I imagine there would be a clearance issue seeing how the casting was changed presumed for the dohc cars. If thats the only difference I have no problem cutting it off.

In this thread it says there different then the same... not sure why they would be different.

I got my ACL/Orbit front case in the mail... Lets just say I'm not impressed.

not the best picture but there's a huge hangnail chunk of aluminum ready to fall off. with quality control like that I don't want to trust it. Id be better off spending $100 less on an itm or dnj pump.

Last edited:

EMX5636

While this might work, I have only trusted and had very good success using OEM Mitsubishi front covers/pump assemblies, especially for anything other than a stock rebuild. I know they have been going up in price, but considering the cost of the engine, well worth it IMHO.

Last edited:

tektic

The tdc mark is different on the front also
622-0056_F.jpg

Also seems to be missing a post for the tensioner.

Last edited:

89Mirageman

The older front cases like that were meant to work with a spring tensioner I believe. I doubt the holes for the lower timing cover line up either.

BENE38A

I bought 2 front cases before I ended up just getting an oem unit. First a topline which I sold because it looked shitty, second I bought a hyundai which looked okay but didnt feel right. The time and money I lost selling on the topline for a loss and sending back the hyundai at my expense makes me wish I just bought oem in the first place.
Just my two cents

ktmrider

^^ This x100.

OP there are so many threads regarding use of non-OEM front cases why would you bother wasting calories ( and possibly another motor ) on this?

tektic

Idk. Bogus is using the Hyundai cases.
I saw extreme psi pushing the acl case. That turned out too look like crap. Just looking for a less expensive answer. I guess there isn't one.

ktmrider

Quoting tektic:
Idk. Bogus is using the Hyundai cases.
I saw extreme psi pushing the acl case. That turned out too look like crap. Just looking for a less expensive answer. I guess there isn't one..

Not trying to clog up your thread however the reference to Bogus should be taken with a grain of salt IMO. Again IMO ( and from folks who know really know their way around a machine shop ) his methods and posts were ONLY valuable if you don't have the proper skills and tooling. So one last time IMO be careful of his "advice".

On Extreme PSI they likely got a good deal on the front cases, remember they like most every other place out there is a for-profit enterprise. As mentioned earlier there is only one front case to use long-term and that is an OEM model.

There are plenty of less expensive answers out there, you found many of them. As I love to say, "Step over a Dollar to pick up a Dime" rings true just like, "You Get what You Pay For". Or end up with another dead motor.

EMX5636

The problem isn't all aftermarket front covers. Obviously people have had luck with them, the problem is, the failure rate of them is much higher than OEM. Have I seen OEM ones wipe out? Yes, but I think mostly due to other factors. Engines and transmissions unfortunately aren't something you should skimp on if you want it to last.

tektic

I got my Hyundai cover in the mail today. It is drilled much better but than the acl orbit unit, however it is filthy. There are bits of aluminum all over it. The cast is identical to the Mitsubishi unit but it is a little rough around the edges. The oem Hyundai seals come installed. I got it on sale for $70 with free shipping. For the $280 difference I will disassemble it and clean it and I believe it will work fine.

probably going to buy another while they are on sale!

Last edited:

G

Staff member
You buy cheap you buy twice.

EMX5636

Did it come with the gears too tektic? If so, please clean and deburr them. Also, Post up some pics.

tektic

It came with gears. They are smooth. The only apparent differences are that the Hyundai gears have smaller alignment dots, and the grade 4 bolts that hold the pump down are silver and not gold. Same cast symbols every where.
(Edit: the smaller gear was installed upside down on the pump I took out. Looks like this casues extra play and partaly blocks off the oil feed to the stub shaft. Would have probably been catastrophic failure eventually)

I inspected it thoroughly and it looks to be a good piece. the gasket lines up perfectly. The rougher cast may just be do to the fact that mine was use twice and cleaned twice before. They only exist on the outer side of the cover. I'd post more pictures but there pretty much identical.

I ordered another one just cause. $92 with 20% off and free shipping. $73 total

Part number: HYUN/Engine Oil Pump - 21310 33142

I haven't put it in service yet and most have all ready knocked it without trying it but just putting this out there. I have no affiliation with this company. Got it here

Last edited:

tektic

Warning! Disassembly is required!

There wete lots of little flakes and some chunks!

I went over the whole thing with a carbide to remove bits and smooth out some transition. I'm about to clean and assemble it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned