The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How to remove 5th Speed Intermediate Gear

pot

Staff member
Need a helping hand gents:

Neither of my pullers are small enough to fit under the 2.5mm groove around the top of the gear to attach a puller. Using the link below coupled with the picture below the link, what puller (brand, type, name, where to purchase) are you guys using or recommend. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Transmission Rebuild Thread

Last edited:

prove_it

Been a lil while, but I think I've only had to walk it off with a pair of screwdrivers. I puller is best, but last time I don't remember using a puller.

Fiascoxl

I use two really long pry bars on opposite sides of each other. Use caution and apply even pressure while taking care not to chip the teeth on the gear. This works every time for me.

Last edited:

pot

Staff member
I appreciate the feedback thus far. The problem with the screwdriver/prybars is the teeth are extremely fragile. I tried both methods so far but no dice. I'm afraid I will chip the teeth. I'm also wary of putting any indents to the aluminum below the gear.

GSTwithPSI

The gears are really brittle, and I wouldn't pry on it with anything metal.

I recently removed the 5th gear on my spare trans when I pulled the center diff. I had the same issue with the gear being stuck. The thing is, it's not pressed on. It just gets frozen to the shaft sometimes.

Mine wasn't too terribly stuck. I had some plastic wedges laying around I picked up from the local hardware store a while back. I took 3 of them, and tapped them in under the gear. I gave each wedge a tap with a hammer in a circular fashion until the gear loosened up. I Googled plastic wedges, and found something like I used at Home Depot click . You can give that a try.

swe_gvr4_1991

I have personally never removed that part.
But i am thinking, is it possible to make a wooden split O-clamp that can be clamped around it and used to wiggle it loose?

pot

Staff member
I appreciate the feedback -I realized I'm trying to remove the 5th speed intermediate gear, not necessarily 5th gear itself. At this point I've managed to chip just about every tooth broke a good chunk of the collar. I have used a bearing separator, a 3 jaw puller, screwdrivers, plastic interior trim tools, and Aerokroil. I think I'm going to get a bottle of propane and heat up the intermediate gear and surrounding area.

donniekak

I use a 3 arm puller that has the ends ground down to nothing. It's like 3 razors. I only use it for the dsm transmissions, as trying to pull something harder would break the tool.

thruarod

I could never remove one of these gears unless it was on a trans that was old and worn out. On a newer trans, these always give a good fight.

I ended up taking a crappy old 2 jaw puller apart at the hinge. I sharpened the jaws as necessary on a bench grinder. Stuck them into the groove with a light tap of a hammer and welded the pivot point together. Next, I welded a 3/8 or 10mm nut up at the top. Apply a healthy amount of moly paste or some other thick anti-scoring lube and screw a bolt in as far as possible. Stick the box end of the wrench on there and put the puller in the groove on the gear. Use washers accordingly to contact the shaft inside the gear and start loosening. You will only get a few turns, then time to add washers and start again.

This procedure SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS. There is probably a better way but I was too cheap to find a more correct puller. In the time you do this, you can have the rest of the gearbox apart and put back together. But it always worked on me and my friends transmissions. We always had to have plenty of beer ready before starting.

EMX5636

Hey I have that kit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif That's what I use if they don't come loose with a quick pry.

pot

Staff member
Brother, I don't know how the hell you or Josh from JNZ can manage to wedge a prybar underneath that f***er. I managed to destroy the gear teeth not to mention the lack of any clearance between the casing and that gear.

It appears that the bearing separator I picked up (MatcoTools part no MST4518) can be used to remove most of the bearings on the galant trans which is a plus. On a sidenote, this entire experience has made me that much more comfortable with rebuilding the trans.

EMX5636

It's a little tedious for sure. He and I both have some "ladies feet" that have been either modified slightly or a specific brand so they fit better. But I've chipped a few until I got the hang of it. Some definitely come off easier than other too, that's for sure.

That Matco set is nice, just need to do some clever holding for some of them (lower input specifically). I have about 5-6 different size bearing splitters that I use in conjunction with my press. After a couple dozen transmissions, you get pretty proficient at them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned