The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Changing out fuel filter

4G63_GSR

I plan on swapping out a possible bad fuel filter (boost and higher powerband issues) and was wondering if there's a fuel plug I need to disconnect to relieve the pump. I've only done so on a 2g and that was like 5 years ago. Let me know. Thanks.

prove_it

I just start the car and disconnect the pump in the back. Easy to get to and it will stall out when fuel pressure drops. That way theres no fuel pressure to spray out everywhere.

Edit* I will still leak, just not nearly as bad, so have some rags ready.*

Last edited:

dandanger

I did exactly the same prove did. Or actually disconnected the pump first and then started the car but thats trivial..

If it's been sitting there for long like mine (over 20 years) it can been tough to get loose but dont give up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4G63_GSR

I've told my brother to soak top and bottom with PB Blaster starting tonight and hope to swap it out this weekend. I think we need all the time we can get when it comes to soaking it.

Thanks guys.

pot

Staff member
I would also highly encourage you to use a flare nut wrench for the fitting on the bottom of the fuel filter. Otherwise you quickly run the risk of stripping the fitting.

prove_it

Add to that, a quality flare tool. 14mm if I remember right.

gvr4ever

I usually just let it sit over night and change it out the next day. Fuel will still spill out, but I've never had it spray on me.

Wookalar

Quoting pot:
I would also highly encourage you to use a flare nut wrench for the fitting on the bottom of the fuel filter. Otherwise you quickly run the risk of stripping the fitting.

Agreed.

Can't one just open the gas cap to relieve pressure in the system? Some fuel will still spill out but pressure isn't as high. I've done this before and it seemed to work.

Wizardawd

Sure, removing the gap cap removes vapor pressure. But it's internal fuel line pressure we are dealing with here. So no the cap will do nothing in regards to line pressure, you have to starve or open the system to relieve pressure.

Wiz

prove_it

Plus fuel vapor pressure generally only occurs in hot weather or long driving times.

dillon233

I cut a section of a normal 14mm closed end wrench out just big enough to fit around the fuel line. It worked great. I use that tool all the time now.

BpuVR4

ran into the stripped nut problem even with much liquid wrench soakings. i almost tossed in the towel, before i just gripped it tight with a small high quality channel lock, and cracked it open using my floorjack handle as a breaker bar, using the throttle body as fulcrum. it was too easy.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned