The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

AEM EMS: im getting no spark.... any AEM pros here?

turbohf

ok so i bought this AEM EMS last winter. and it seems that i am getting no spark, possibly no fuel.

my car runs, drives, etc on STOCK ECU + MAFT. with no issues as long as its not in boost. we throw the AEM BOX in and it cranks and cranks. it shows STAT SYNC, it will light up after a handful of cranks. im getting sensor readings from everything else it seems.

so i finally meet up with a buddy to trouble shoot this some more. he is my DSM guru and has tuned most every system i have heard of on a DSM. anyway we mess around with it for a while he goes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif then runs off. shows up with a fresh AEM box and tosses it in. within a min or 2 she is trying to light off. he got it running pretty shitty over the next min, but didnt matter it just proved that my box has an issue, right?

so i have an electronics geek at my work, and he offered to take a look at it. and he said that he cant find anything wrong with it. suggested that he might be able to test more if he had the car tho? or that it was in the chipset?

ok, pause here and ask if there is any thoughts/insights on any of that?

so i was thinking that before i buy another box or v3. i have no coil output right? the AEM can and has 4 coil drivers? can i just swap ECU pins to the other set of coil drivers??? is this a possible solution?

bradrs

If you aren't sure whether you get no fuel, it seems like trying to swap the coil channels is premature. Verify the fuel issue first. If you get fuel, then you can focus on spark.

bradrs

If you aren't sure whether you get no fuel, it seems like trying to swap the coil channels is premature. Verify the fuel issue first. If you get fuel, then you can focus on spark.

turbohf

honestly I didn't think about that part till I was typing it. but for sure no spark. so was trying to address that.

G

Staff member
New or used?

turbohf

its used... a series 1 box.

G

Staff member
They have been known to go bad, did the previous owner ever have it serviced? AEM used to fix the problem for free even out of warranty.

turbohf

AEM no longer services series1 box's. it has been posted here i think? and its on AEMs site. buddy had sent one back a while back, he said that they told him they dont fix them anymore, and would give him a "deal" on a series2.

im either getting this one to work, fixed, or im buying another one.

alansupra94

They fixed my series one like I think 8 months ago. This for my Supra and DSM box.

turbohf

turbohf

ok, im getting no spark, and no injector pulse.

spark was tested with new plug in plug wire set on strut tower. injector was tested with test light.

video:
click

EHmotorsports

are you sharing power to the ignitor,coils and injectors? are they getting power? is the pump activating? how are they wired up?

EHmotorsports

Quoting turbohf:
click

the link you posted says they will no longer service series 1 boxes starting 12/31/14 so send it out and have them fix it before its too late.

turbohf

Quoting EHmotorsports:
are you sharing power to the ignitor,coils and injectors? are they getting power? is the pump activating? how are they wired up?

its all factory.

i was the only one at the shop, and i cant hear the pump over the cranking of the engine. but pretty sure that is the relay you hear clicking in the video.

btw. i unplugged the SD harness, plugged the MAFT/stock ecu back in and she fired right off.

snailspool

I had this issue with mine. Sent it to AEM and $220 or so later it was fixed.
IIRC its a bad driver, and i realized you could use the other drivers, as it does have 8, but i forgot how too. Some reading of the manual will help you figure it out, if you want to give that a shot.
Seems to be happening more and more with the series 1's

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts