The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dyno tune advice

MX4

Hi all,
My car is currently in with a workshop to have the dyno tune completed. I am unsure about how much boost I should ask the tuner to use. Obviously o2 readings and knock will be a limit at some point. It will be running on pump gas (equivilant to 93/94 in the USA). I would appreciate advice from members on here with direct experience.

Engine setup is:
9.0:1 forged pistons
Aftermarket rods
ARP head studs
Cometic head gasket
ID1000 injectors
300lph fuel pump
Fuelab fuel filter and adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Forced Performance GT35R with 0.68 exhaust housing
Larger intercooler w/ 2.5" intercooler piping & Tial BOV
Degree'd Kelford 272 cams with dual valve springs
3" Exhaust
Standalong ECU

Cheers!
Ryan

tektic

30-45 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
gt35rcompress.gif

Edit: I don't think I'm reading that right. The tooner should know what to make of that chart though.

Last edited:

tektic

40 lbs/min. Therese some computations necessary to get the psi. the turbo runs up to 79% efficient everywhere in that smallest center island. That's the sweet spot of the turbo and that's where it will be best utilized.

Is this a track car, Weekend warrior, or a dd?

--Edit--

Conversion factors:

(PR X 14.67psia) - 14.67psia = Boost
kg/sec X 60sec X 2.2046lb/kg = lb/min
m^3/sec X 60sec X 35.3ft^3/m^3 = CFM
CFM X .07 ≈ lb/min

Last edited:

92_talon_awd

Quoting MX4:
30psi on pump? Really??

I ran 30psi on pump for years on my talon. Never had a problem.

MX4

Quoting tektic:
40 lbs/min. Therese some computations necessary to get the psi. the turbo runs up to 79% efficient everywhere in that smallest center island. That's the sweet spot of the turbo and that's where it will be best utilized.

Is this a track car, Weekend warrior, or a dd?

CFM X .07 ≈ lb/min

Its a weekend warrior. I realise a GT35R is probably too big for a daily driver on pump, but I picked it up for a good price.

MX4

Quoting 92_talon_awd:
Quoting MX4:
30psi on pump? Really??

I ran 30psi on pump for years on my talon. Never had a problem.

And this was without knock, and safe o2's? And on what size turbo? It sounds like alot for pump gas (not that I dont believe you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

92_talon_awd

Yup, no probs with either. click It was a garrett 70 trim.

prove_it

Probably didn't have issues with it because of tuning. Run more fuel and a little less timing and I'm sure it was happy at 30psi.

diambo4life

People have done 30-35psi on pump 93. It's all in the tune. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Start conservative...20psi'ish and work forward.

prove_it

Not all in the tune, you do need head bolts and a gasket that will hold the pressures. Also a lack of carbon build up helps a lot too. Other than that, it's the tune.

diambo4life

Stock HG and the stock head bolts will handle ALL the power a GT35R will make on pump gas. It's been done....MANY times before. Tune is the key. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

prove_it

But for how long?

Wookalar

From a safety stand point when tuning on pump gas wouldn't the "tuner" watch air fuel ratio first, or wide band o2 levels, then injector duty cycle, and then also take into account fuel pump flow rate? Then think about boost levels last.

There is a formula for hp power/fuel flow rate for pump and injectors.

I'm not a "tuner" but it seems like the air fuel ratio for proper combustion would be more important than how much boost you want to run. The amount of boost is a byproduct of the correct afr? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

prove_it

You are correct. That's why you start out at a known good boost level. Say 15-20psi. Dial in your AF ratio, check injector duty. Once that's set then you can play with timing at the low boost. Find the sweet spot then take it back small notch(you can always add it back). This gives you a baseline for timing to avoid knock. Then you increase boost based on where your at. If injector duty is maxing at say 50% and the pump is barely working, then go up 5lbs, recheck, adjust as needed, then go 5pi more. Keep going til either your out of injector, turbo, or pump. Once your psi is maxed, you can play with timing and boost to find a compromise for best power. Sometimes less boost with more timing makes for better power, sometimes more boost and less timing makes more. There are a lot of variables and every engine responds different.

Generally with pump gas, you use boost to add power rather than aggressive timing. On race fuels/e85 you can max out timing for more power, plus lean it out more for better lean torque.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not a pro tuner, just a simple street tuner with limited experience tuning.

diambo4life

Different ways to skin the cat...really. I personally shoot for a target AFR first. Once I get that dialed in...I turn the boost up to a certain level to achieve the airflow I need...then start adding timing to it until I establish the knock threshold for that particular setup. At this point I can either back off the timing a little and add more boost or reduce the boost and add timing. Of course...going with whichever nets me more power while keeping knock away. This is just what I do. Of course on stock stuff....being less aggressive with timing and running more boost usually is the safer route in most applications.

Last edited:

ghostinthevr4

Quoting prove_it:
But for how long?

A long time if you know what your doing and yes I'm talking about stock head bolts and composite gasket. I got a friend who found a low mileage block put a massive Borg Warner turbo on it added nitrous ran 10 sec quarter miles and raced it almost every weekend for money and street tunes his own sh*t.

It will last for a while if you play your cards right.

Sorry it wasn't on pump gas though E-85 and a auto.

Last edited:

92_talon_awd

Quoting prove_it:
But for how long?

In my case, felpro gasket with ARP's lasted about 3.5 to 4 years hitting 30psi at least 4-5 times a day. Plus some good rally-x

MX4

Thanks for the info everyone. The car is in the workshop now but wont be getting tuned until mid november (unless there is a cancellation). The tuner will phone before the car goes on the dyno to see what the RPM/boost limits are that I want him to work to. Will post the results as soon as I have them

prove_it

Quoting 92_talon_awd:
Quoting prove_it:
But for how long?

In my case, felpro gasket with ARP's lasted about 3.5 to 4 years hitting 30psi at least 4-5 times a day. Plus some good rally-x

Fel-pro composite or MLS? The orginal quote was for a stock composite and stock head bolts. Of course a MLS and Arps will take that abuse.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts