The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

couple of Q's... axles, PS/4ws removal, 4bolt.

turbohf

ok next round on the Galant seems like it may be a big one for me. just want to make sure i have everything clear.

donor car in question is a 92 TSi AWD manual trans.

i need to replace my left front axle and intermediate shaft (axle hums, and is stuck in the center shaft). i did some searching and didnt find a solid answer. just that i cant use FWD axles. but i was pretty sure front AWD axles are all the same?

next up. my power steering rack is pissing fluid out one of one of the boots, so plan was to pull the PS rack from the car above also. what i have found is that its a direct swap. but im vague on what else i may need? everyone just seems to cap a line on the 4WS/Galant rack. so i need a DSM PS resivor also? a PS line?

4bolt sounds pretty simple once i do the PS rack, just remove the rest of the lines. pull the 3bolt, swap in 4bolt. pull the rear PS rack stuff off and all is good? i do find it odd that i dont need to do anything else, but i guess it just pushes against the bushings?

so am i on the right track here? missing anything?

tektic

Fwd axle has no half shaft. Its one piece and is not a good idea on an awd .

The ps rack is the same besides the extra lines for the 4ws. You will need the lines and reservoir.

Are you doing a 5 bolt swap? If not you will have to use your rear swing arms on the 4 bot subframe, or some combination of the two.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting turbohf:
but i was pretty sure front AWD axles are all the same?

AWD axles will work as long as you match manual trans.

so i need a DSM PS resivor also? a PS line?

Yes, as mentioned you need the reservoir and the hoses from the donor.

i do find it odd that i dont need to do anything else, but i guess it just pushes against the bushings?

If you are concerned about the rear trailing arms, they have passive toe movement on the 1g, so no, you don't need to restrain them when installed in a VR4.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Sorry for the crappy quote/response.

turbohf

which PS hoses do i need? why are they different. makes this more complicated... i was hoping they had the same pressure and return lines. then i just removed all the extras that are 4ws BS.

tektic

Find a Donner dsm in the junk yard and take a look at whats different. The galant has a different cooler design from the dsm. everything else will bolt right in.

turbohf

i plan to go tomorrow and pull all the parts im talking about. just want to make sure im grabbing stuff i can use, and that they are the right parts. oh and that i grabbed all i need.

Wizardawd

Just to add since I have done all of this already. FWD passenger side axles are the same regardless of driveline. The drivers side on a FWD is a one piece shaft and cannot be used due to the transfer case. BUt, you can use the AWD setup in a FWD.

You need a 1g/standard Mitsu power steering reservoir to replace the 4WS reservoir. The cooler didn't have to be changed on my car, and I don't think I had to do anything other than just swap the res. in place.

Any 1g rack works fine. Just plan on buying new tie rod ends.

The easiest way to do the rear when pulling from a junkyard is to unbolt the 6 mount bolts, unbolt the driveshaft, and undo the upper strut bolts and cut the brake lines. If if still has wheels on it, you can literally roll the thing home. No need to swap hubs, trailing arms, blah. Just put on your GVR4 rear struts and bolt the rest under your car. Done. 4-bolt, 5 lug and no rear steer with just a few bolts.

Wiz

swe_gvr4_1991

I changed my PS rack from 4WS to 2WS just 4 weeks ago.
Strip all of the things that might be in the way. Stuff like crossmembers, gusset passenger sida, transfer case, sway bar, Etc. If this is done the job is done in less than an hour.
If not stripped if WILL take longer.
Another tip; Put the steering knuckle back on the PS rack splined axle before lifting up and tightening the PS rack from below. This makes it a million times easier than trying to hammer the knuckle to it's proper position.

No need to change PS lines. Re-use your old ones if the are not leaking since you will only be using the 2WS lines now. One hardline and one return line.
You can also re-use the reservoir but i went with a base model Galant reservoir with only 2 lines to it.

The whole job is super easy if done correctly.

tektic

Things to keep in mind when selecting parts. Manual and auto steering racks have a different gear ratios and as a result have a different amount of steering wheel turns lock to lock. The rack from a manual transmission car is more desirable(requires less input for same turn). Also the half shaft carrier bearing bracket for the driver side axle is different for automatic and manual transmissions (the cv joints and axle is the same though). The rear differential in the manual car is also different gear ratio from it's automatic counterpart. 3 bolt axles don't work in 4 bolt rears.

Bring a big beaker bar to remove the axle nuts.

While your doing repairs to the power steering system it would be a good time to put some new o-rings in your power steering pump. When I took mine apart most of the o-rings were dry, brittle, flat or all of the above. The whole rebuild kit can be had for $8-30 depending on the source. I got mine from the dealer but they sell it at rock also. Write ups can be found online. Be very careful to label the rings and match them as the come out. It is very easy to mix up the similar sized o-rings. The pump will not go together properly if they are installed incorectly.

Wookalar

One of the front rack bushings is different from galant to dsm. The galant rack n pinion bushing has two holes in it for the two lines that pass through it.

The dsm rack bushing has one hole in it. See the pic below:

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts