The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Coolant in oil problem

CutlassJim

So I took a motor out of a perfectly running Galant, pressure washed it, redid all the timing components, put a different 16G on it and put it in another Galant. I started the car after just an oil change with no rad in the car just to make sure everything looked fine. Car ran for about a minute and everything was kosher. The next day I finished installing everything and had the car running with the rad cap off to burp the system. I realized I never double checked the oil after the change so I shut the car down and check it. The oil literally looked like green milk. I drained the oil and popped the valve cover off and all the oil everywhere is green milk. I drained the coolant and it's still perfectly clean.

WTF happened?

I pulled the oil filter cooler off and put 10 psi into the coolant ports and it held for an hour. Compression check shows the same numbers as when it was in the previous car. The turbo was run on a different car with no problems. Where the eff else does oil and coolant mix?

I didn't think it was the oil cooler since the oil was bad and the coolant was OK it has to be in an area where the oil pressure is lower than the coolant pressure or I would think there would have been oil in the coolant.

Thoughts?

transparentdsm

did you tighten down the bolt that has the oil cooler sandwich on it? if you did you might have made it to tight and cracked it. i have done this before. also what was the conditon of the 16g you installed? did it come off a running car? did you use it? maybe the cartridge got to hot and cracked and the oil and coolant are mixing there.

CutlassJim

Quoting bowler31185:
head gasket?????

Quoting CutlassJim:
Compression check shows the same numbers as when it was in the previous car.

Quoting transparentdsm:
did you tighten down the bolt that has the oil cooler sandwich on it? if you did you might have made it to tight and cracked it

Quoting CutlassJim:
I pulled the oil filter cooler off and put 10 psi into the coolant ports and it held for an hour.

Quoting transparentdsm:
also what was the conditon of the 16g you installed? did it come off a running car? did you use it?

Quoting CutlassJim:
The turbo was run on a different car with no problems.

coyotes

Put fresh oil and coolant back in and see if it shows back up? Maybe someone poured coolant in the wrong hole on the engine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

89Patches

Quoting coyotes:
Maybe someone poured coolant in the wrong hole on the engine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

This is the first thing I thought of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

CutlassJim

Quoting turbowop:
Did water get in there somehow when you pressure washed it?

Now that you say that I did tape up the exhaust holes but didn't do anything to the oil drain back hole in the pan. Someone's getting kissed on the lips if I ever meet him in real life!

turbowop

The gift of good beer will suffice. No need for kisses. I don't swing that direction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/keke.gif

prove_it

Sure...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mork.gif

CutlassJim

Quoting turbowop:
The gift of good beer will suffice. No need for kisses. I don't swing that direction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/keke.gif

I am going down to Raleigh soon so I'll get in touch with 4orced4door and have him send something your way from me.

turbowop

Wow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif Well please don't feel like it's necessary. I was just trying to halp a brother out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CutlassJim

It's going to be a Natty Daddy so don't sweat it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned