The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Custom EH Motorsports FP Racing manifold shroud. (UPDATED)

EfiniX

Evan is knocking up a PoC heat shroud for the FP manifold. I thought it might be fun to take some temps from my current setup to compare to the finished product. Currently, I've got titanium cloth around my FP mani, and reflective heat tape on my IC piping as it goes over the top of the manifold.

Temp gauge tops out around 666F (which is oddly evil and specific).

Before:

click

After:

click

Forgive the ticking. It's not an exhaust leak or lifters. I have my license plate on a hinge so it swings up at-speed and allows more airflow to the intercooler. That hinge makes a bit of noise while idling.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
So your intake mani was hotter than your jpipe. Do you have one of those plastic spacers installed?

GSTwithPSI

The problem with your test is that the infrared thermometer is reading surface temp of whatever material it's pointed at. So, you'll have a good idea how the bare components (your intake manifold, throttle body elbow, etc.) will benefit from being shielded the FP mani...which will be a good indicator of how much heat soak is reduced by the addition of a heat shield.

What you won't know is if the J-pipe benefited, because you're not actually getting the temp reading of the actual pipe. You're just getting the temp of the insulation it's wrapped with. You should expose a small section of the bare pipe like you did the FP mani so you can get an accurate surface temp reading on the J-pipe.

Quoting G :
So your intake mani was hotter than your jpipe.

I doubt it, due to the reasons I stated above. The readings are comparing the bare intake manifold temp to the temp of the insulation on the J-pipe. Not an accurate comparison IMO.

I appreciate EfiniX taking the time to do this. I'm dealing with some of these issues myself, and would love to see some real world numbers/improvements. Could Evan grace us with some pics of the heat shield he's fabricating? I had a hell of a time fabbing one up myself, and feel like it was only a marginal improvement if at all. I'm interested in the details here.

G

Staff member
The heat shield needs to be made from an aluminum alloy not steel. Otherwise it just turns in to a big bbq grill.

GSTwithPSI

I don't know that I've ever seen a heat shield made of Aluminum or Aluminum alloy. The JMF piece is steel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

The main thing any heat shield will do is block some of the direct radiant heat, especially being so close to the radiator.

G

Staff member
What's your stock unit made from? What are 99% of all OE units made from across the board from any car manufacturer?

EHmotorsports

Quoting G:
What's your stock unit made from? What are 99% of all OE units made from across the board from any car manufacturer?

G the heat shields on most production cars are made of steel when it surrounds the manifold. Aluminum is used on the bodywork and exhaust surrounds due to it's quick heat dissipation to remove unwanted heat from the bodywork and wiring,hoses and lines that may be close.

G

Staff member
I didn't say aluminum, I said aluminum alloy. Not pure aluminum that doesn't rust. I would like to find this aluminum alloy in bulk:

image013.jpg

refit_heat_shields.jpg

Most of the heat shields i've seen for our cars are not an aluminum alloy. They are stove tops literally. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

EHmotorsports

As you can see they are around the body. From the factory up to at least 2012 most manifold shields are made out of a coated steel. Also those "aluminum" nuts are not aluminum or an alloy of.
The top picture is of an r50-r56 Mini Cooper of witch I worked on for the last 7 years.
The problem with using aluminum or an alloy of, on a manifold is you will need to add in something that will reflect the heat back. So a reflective barrer will need to be attached to the underside to keep the heat in. If you use a straight aluminum or an alloy without, the radiant heat will transmit through the shield and provide minimal results.
I have made many shields out of that material for surrounding components. The material will eventually degrade around a manifold as I have tried that also because it is a coated aluminum material.
And you can find that material in bulk of you want to spend 80 for a 12"x14" section.

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

Anyway I should have time to start on making a template Thursday and start fabricating a prototype by next week.

JNR

Usually the metal part serves more as cladding and you want an actual insulating material in-between, to be effective....closer, the better...idea is to retain heat, not so much dissipate (won't go far or work without airflow) it when we're talking exhaust manifolds. Unless of course you're talking "personnel protection", so to speak, then these plate shields that have an airgap would do its job like that.

EfiniX

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
The problem with your test is that the infrared thermometer is reading surface temp of whatever material it's pointed at. So, you'll have a good idea how the bare components (your intake manifold, throttle body elbow, etc.) will benefit from being shielded the FP mani...which will be a good indicator of how much heat soak is reduced by the addition of a heat shield.

Yeah, this wasn't meant to be empirical or anything. I wanted to check surface temps on everything after a brisk drive. If they drop, then I can infer the shield is doing its job, regardless of what my intake temps might actually be.

EfiniX

Quoting EHmotorsports:
Anyway I should have time to start on making a template Thursday and start fabricating a prototype by next week.

Yay! tell me when to drive back out with your bottle of Sage!

EfiniX

And bump for the new content.

prove_it

You know, as discussed in other thread, that using couplers on your hot side pipe is the worst thing in the world to do... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

EfiniX

I'll pass your concerns on to ETS

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts