The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help me identify starting issue

lalo

Hey guys I'm new to the mitsubishi world and this website and I'm having a problems with my vr4.
Here's a video to show what's happening
click
I don't know if there's a way to post a video directly but here it is.
I already tried changing the battery and nothing. I don't know if having the battery in the trunk might be affecting this . I need suggestions from the vr4 gurus. Thank you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

transparentdsm

hahahahahaha we need more information then help me identify starting issue. like whats going on? what does the car have done. are you mechanically inclined?

lalo

I'm so sorry I accidentally clicked continue without finishing my post and to
Answer you question yes I do my own work. Electrical stuff usually
Stumps me though.

transparentdsm

ok so i cant see the video, can you explain symptoms? if its a short id say check all the wiring to the battery, maybe metal cut the sleeve and shorted it, if its clicking then try smacking the starter with a rod and hammer, if power comes on the dash and there is no click it will be your actual ignition and its the triangle 3 plug under the hood by the area the stock battery sits.

edit: also check the MPI, Transistor pack, CAS and ECU.

another edit: if its a hot start issue check the CTS and all its wiring.

Last edited:

lalo

The symptoms are that you can hear a weird noise when it's trying to turn like wshhhhhhhh. All the lights on the dash turn on and everything works. I need to know where I can locate all the things you mentioned. Btw before this started happening the car was alright but one day I left the car sitting for a week with one of the dome lights on and the battery died I changed the battery and then this starting problem began.
Edit- no it does it hot or cold

Last edited:

transparentdsm

ok if you can get it running put a DDM on the alternator and make sure you see 14.5-14.7. if your jump it does it turn on? id also try smacking the starter with a rod and hammer. might be a locked starter.

edit: i had a starter lock from push starting my one time. and once when i put my old auto in neutral and moved it 15 feet forward.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

MPI is under glove box, by the ECU, transistor pack is on the intake manifold by the coil pack and wires and CAS is on the motor,opposite side of timing belt in the back. CTS dont worry about at all.

lalo

It starts but it takes it like 30 second and it struggles almost like no current is going through eventually it does turn on.

G

Staff member
Sounds like a ground issue.

lalo

@G were u able to watch my video?
Okay I will make sure that all my grounds are good
But that will be tomorrow because it's already 9pm here

G

Staff member
Yes, sounds like a weak ground.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned